• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 problems

junkxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have done a search on this, and could not find anything that is exactly like the problem i am having. My trans was fine yesterday, just started acting stupid today.My problems are
1. Pulls out in second
3. Will not up shift from 3rd to drive
3. Will not kick down from 3rd to 2nd
The previous owner put a 1-2 switch and torque converter lockup switch on it. I don't know if that is it, but I think it has to do with the tcu. I have read that early xjs have a fuse on the tcu, butt does that apply to a 92. I know this sounds like a stupid question, butt I really need help.Any ideas would be great.

First........got fluid at proper level?

Will shifting work properly if you do the shifting manually? If so this mod'ed tcu may have gotten d-funked. If the previous owner mod'ed the tcu you may want to get yourself another "stock" tcu and hook that up to make sure you aw4 is working properly otherwise could be syncro's and/or computer problems

I forgot to mention a couple things. First the fluid is full. If i flip the tcu over ride/ bypass switch and then flip the 1-2 switch is will pull out in first. I have no idea how this could keep it from kicking down from 3 to 2 or going into drive. I think this is some kind of wireing problem, but that maynot solve all the problems. If the tcu is not hooked up, or not wired properly will it keep it from going into drive? I am at a loss here, any help would be appreciated.

I had this prob when I was doing this mod. It was the same way for a month or so and then I found one of the fuses burnt (and yes I checked all the fuses the first time around, actually about 5 times). Check the fuse box under the hood. For some reason it wasnt there then it was. All probs went away after I changed the fuse and never finished the mod. Hope this helps. Jeff CamoXJeep

Thanks for the tip, I have checked the fuse, but i will check it again just to make sure. Thanks again for the input.

Back