• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension mod...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
I want 33"/12.50 Goodyear MT/Rs and i think that 4.5" of lift would be just perfect. I know Ill probably have to trim some fenders but what about the bumpstops and backspacing? How do I know I have enough clearance with my bumpstops and backspacing ? What should I use? I'm totally helpless here... thanks

I have a 99 XJ with 5.5" of lift and 285/75/16 MT/Rs (33x11x16) with Rubicon wheels (16x8, 5.25" backspacing). I had to trim the front bumper covers back about 1" on both sides. I had 2 hockey pucks glued to each spring pad in front, and stock bump stops in the rear. My first trip out wheeling I tore off a wheel flare and damaged both front fenders, and also cut up 2 brand new MT/Rs. Not fun. I had to add 2 more pucks up front, and add 3" to the rear bump stops. I don't have alot of up travel anymore, but I'm not rock crawling, so it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line is you're going to need alot of trimming.

Ditto what Stonycar said. I'm looking at the same basic setup and want the best travel I can get. I will hack and cut whatever I need to make it work.
Wheel B.S./ bumpstops/ Shocks/ ?? I'm sure their is more than one way to make this work Well off road, but how about some ideas? Living in So-Cal, I Will be rock crawling w/ it, so it has to work. Thanks!

5.25 bs will not work, look into around 4" or so. just go nuts with the sawzall

Back