• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my dull ceilling lamp...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement ceiling lamp. I have the one light lamp that I switch on with the head lamp switch. What I need is the one that has 2 map lights with the ceiling lamp available in more equipped XJ. So maybe if somebody could tell me where i could find that and find a keyless entry system that I could install on my 99 XJ, would be veray appreciated.

Thank you

You're looking for an overhead console, it seems. I'm not sure if it's available in the 97+ but I have a full-length overhead in my '96 and there are individual maplights for each of the front seats as well as two rear ones, it provides plenty of light. Keep an eye on the For Sale forum or repost this in 'Wanted' to see what's out there. Good luck

Last edited:
Yucca-Man said:
I'm not sure if it's available in the 97+ but I have a full-length overhead in my '96 and there are individual maplights for each of the front seats as well as two rear ones, it provides plenty of light.

There was. It's pretty much the same functionally as the '96-back units, but I don't believe the two are interchangeable. AFAIK, they were only available on Classic and Limited models, so you might want to poke around the junkyards for a '97-'01. Good luck; I've been trying to find one for mine and they're all either way too expensive or not in good enough condition.

Anyone have any links to an aftermarket type one? I have been looking to replace my single overhead dome light also. All that I can really find are the overhead consoles for monitors.

Alex

Look at RV shops to see what lighting options they have. My front two lights will be inoperable once I get my radio installed in the overhead. Couple places I've talked to have all recommended RV shops but I haven't made it there yet...

I don't have the overhead console option on mine, but I have the upgraded overhead light with two maplights and your standard overhead light. Mine's a '95 Country edition so maybe you could find one out of one of those. A lot of them have the overhead console though.

Go to a boneyard and look at 96+ Oldsmobile/Pontiac/Chevys for a rear view mirror that has two map lights built in. They are easy to identify from outside as they will have a black channel running from the rearview mirror to the headliner, easy to spot while walking along outside.
Second alternative is to go to an RV shop and look for the dual aircraft lights that swivel, they come in singles, duals and duals with a centerlight, they are usually in the $30 range with the three lights. I recommend that you use a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 in plywood to mount the light to and then mount that to the ceiling, those lights get hot..
For the back passengers Hella makes a 'map light on a stick' that has that bendable steel stuff like used on BX electrical cable, bit pricey though you can mount them anywhere...

Back