• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's say....

PhunkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
You have an XJ and your boyfriend was working on it, and a lug nut became stripped and in the process of trying to get the lug nut off he destroyed the stud and now the wheel won't come off...... what would you do?

The stud is completely fawked and the lug is still on it! He's ****ed, I'm ****ed... yadda yadda.

He wants to torch it off... is this the only way?
I'm just afraid it's gonna ruin the wheel, then I will only have 3 good wheels.

Bummer.

edit: p i s s e d is censored! WTF they say worse on TV. :rolleyes:

jeepguy97 said:
I wouldn't let him work on it again. :eye:

Ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

I would've thought you learned something when we had to take an hour or more out of our wheelin' time @ NACfest to flip your U-bolt backing plate so your axle would be centered correctly, that of which Loly installed himself. :looser:

thefinger.gif

PhunkadelicXJ said:
You have an XJ and your boyfriend was working on it, and a lug nut became stripped and in the process of trying to get the lug nut off he destroyed the stud and now the wheel won't come off...... what would you do?

The stud is completely fawked and the lug is still on it! He's ****ed, I'm ****ed... yadda yadda.

He wants to torch it off... is this the only way?
I'm just afraid it's gonna ruin the wheel, then I will only have 3 good wheels.

Bummer.

edit: p i s s e d is censored! WTF they say worse on TV. :rolleyes:

Use a grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the stud off.

BajaXJ92 said:
Ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

I would've thought you learned something when we had to take an hour or more out of our wheelin' time @ NACfest to flip your U-bolt backing plate so your axle would be centered correctly, that of which Loly installed himself. :looser:

thefinger.gif

I double checked that for myself when the new leaf packs went in!!! :D

either take it to a shop (they have the tools) OR go buy and smaller socket and beat in on, then beat it off. FYI, it took 15 minutes when i took mine to the shop and about 10$. All they do is put a special socket on for rounded nuts, and use an impact on the highest setting until the nut and stud break. Then they replace the stud and lugnut.

imma honky said:
...All they do is put a special socket on for rounded nuts, and use an impact on the highest setting until the nut and stud break. Then they replace the stud and lugnut.
You can get the socket he talks about at Sears. It's a craftsman kit, I forget the exact name, but it's easily spotted. It looks like a socket, about 1" tall x whatever diameter you need. One side is round with a spiral pattern on the inside that gets smaller in diameter as it goes in (The spiral is set up so when you turn it counter clockwise it will draw it onto the damaged nut). The other side has six flats for a wrench or standard socket.

When I had damaged studs on a couple axles I've done I usd this tool. I tapped it on with a hammer to get a good bite then went to town turning counter-clockwise. I ended up having to armstrong it with a 24" breaker bar and lots of cursing, my impact gun wouldn't give me enough torque.

Count yourself a little lucky at least, the axle is in the vehicle, right? So you can use brakes and gears to keep the wheel from turning. Those axles I did it on were out of the vehicle, had to sit on the tire to keep it from turning while pulling from the side, not very fun.

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
You can get the socket he talks about at Sears. It's a craftsman kit, I forget the exact name, but it's easily spotted. It looks like a socket, about 1" tall x whatever diameter you need. One side is round with a spiral pattern on the inside that gets smaller in diameter as it goes in (The spiral is set up so when you turn it counter clockwise it will draw it onto the damaged nut). The other side has six flats for a wrench or standard socket.

When I had damaged studs on a couple axles I've done I usd this tool. I tapped it on with a hammer to get a good bite then went to town turning counter-clockwise. I ended up having to armstrong it with a 24" breaker bar and lots of cursing, my impact gun wouldn't give me enough torque.

Count yourself a little lucky at least, the axle is in the vehicle, right? So you can use brakes and gears to keep the wheel from turning. Those axles I did it on were out of the vehicle, had to sit on the tire to keep it from turning while pulling from the side, not very fun.

Sequoia

What are we talking about here? A damaged stud or damaged lug nut?

What kind of wheel and lug nut?

If they are steel wheels with acorn style lugs you can very carefuly slice through both sides of the lug nut with a torch, or cutoff wheel.
If the nut is close to the end of the stud you can use a torch to melt the stud away from the lug, or use a cutoff wheel can cut the stud in half.
Another method that is slow is to chisel the nut in half..... just don't slip and bang up your rim...... airhammers are not recomended.

Chris

Sounds like the nut is still on the stud. Seems easiest to pull off the nut, then cut/remove the stud. I usually just pound on an old socket and back it off that way.
dion

If there black steel wheels and he knows how to use the torch. Then there shouldnt be a problem. I had to torch three off mine when the stud spun in the axle. Never damaged the wheel. Just have him keep the heat low. Dont crank up the oxy. and acc.
And it should be find. Just melt alittle away at a time.

Drill it out, lug nut and stud. Then, and this is important....thank him for working on your junk for you. I am sure he is just as upset and he does not need you giving him any attitude over this.

Not that you would have attitude.

Rev

Back