• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with diagnosis

sprinkler1228

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a set of daystar motor mounts on my 91. I also was having someone do my rear main seal. I finished my mounts and let my friend take over on the seal. I never started it or test drove it after the mount install. I test drove it after the seal was done and it started up fine. Good oil pressure. No leaks. I drove it around the block.By the time I got back it was leaking oil and ideling very rough. I checked under the truck and saw the oil pan was leaking. I called my buddy back and he said he thought it might leak! He had lost a few bolts for the pan and didn't wanna tell me. Is it possible the rough idle is from a vacuum leak since the oil pan is leaking or would it have something to do with the mounts? I normally would have down all the work but since I rolled my 99 a few months ago on the highway my back couldn't take it. I would appreciate any help.

I doubt you have a rough idle. What you are feeling is the vibrations from the engine that used to be absorbed by the stock mounts. I bought a set of MORE mounts a few years ago. These were the rubber isolators, so they were supposed to be like stock. I installed the mounts, fired it up, drove around the block, and took them back out. Never looked back. Those stock mounts are soft for a reason.

UGH, Quite the buddy you have there! I don't think a leaky pan or motor mounts would affect your idle. Maybe he also forgot to tell you about the couple of vacuum lines he broke while doing the pan?
Having just spent the weekend doing a rear main and pan gasket, I can't believe your friend could just let you go w/ missing pan bolts?!

When I started it was not ideling rough. Only after it had warmed up. Even then it only did it at idle not when the motor was under a load.I would think the motor mounts would have been noticable from the start. I was thinking vacuum because it took a while to happen.

You probably didn't feel it until the RPM dropped down. At higher RPM you won't feel the engine vibes as bad. Once it drops down you feel everything.

sprinkler1228 said:
There is a whole lot of vibes at idle, but the thing is its only after it warms up.

What was already said. The rpm is probably a little higher at first, and the motor can really shake at idle with the poly motor mounts. I put poly motor mounts in recently and there was a huge difference in the vibrations at idle. Mine's mostly a trail rig, but it is realy annoying driving around town. If it was a daily driver I'd probably take out the poly motor mounts.

I'll have to take my rig somewhere to have the oil pan fixed. Do you think I could adjust the idle so it would ease the vibrations or just change them back to stock mounts?? There is no vibes while driving just at idle

Back