• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heating up very fast

turdles

NAXJA Forum User
While i was wheeling the other day my 2001 kept heating up extremly fast and the engine light would come on and the engine temp gauge was all the way to 250(or 260 what ever is the highest). After time the temp went down..... but when i tured it off and turned it back on the gauge would once again go all the way to the right and the light would come on. Any ideas of what is causing and how to fix it?

Do you have an auto? If so, pop it in Neutral or Park while waiting your turn...otherwise the fluid will heat up, throwing more unneeded heat into the radiator. For that matter, what condition are the fins on your radiator and tranny cooler?

Is the aux fan kicking on?

Yucca-Man said:
Do you have an auto? If so, pop it in Neutral or Park while waiting your turn...otherwise the fluid will heat up, throwing more unneeded heat into the radiator. For that matter, what condition are the fins on your radiator and tranny cooler?

Yes it is an auto. If it wasnt raining outside id go check the fins, ill have to get back to you on that one. They should be in pretty good shape, it is a 2001.

Yucca-Man said:

Now this may make me sound stupid but i checked the two fans that were under the hood and they were both clean and in great shape(not sure wich is wich but one was larger and metal and one was smaller and plastic). Where is the tranny cooler(I was under the impression that they didnot come stock on my xj).

If the jeep is overheating at idle, like mine was, but running cool at higher RPMs, check the water pump. It may not be moving as much fluid as it should. My problem was an air pocket in the closed style system but it could be a problem with the pump on your '01. If RPM isnt a factor in cooling then i would look at the T-stat and the operation of the electric fan.

didnt really answer any new questions, so-

If you have an external tranny cooler it will be in front of the radiator, visible through the grill.

And the smaller, plastic fan is the aux. fan, it wont run all the time, but check to make sure it kicks on around 200 degrees F

NCSUcherokee said:
didnt really answer any new questions, so-

If you have an external tranny cooler it will be in front of the radiator, visible through the grill.

And the smaller, plastic fan is the aux. fan, it wont run all the time, but check to make sure it kicks on around 200 degrees F

How hot should my jeep run just around town wiht my 6"lift and 33s and custom bumpers

How hot should my jeep run just around town wiht my 6"lift and 33s and custom bumpers

no two jeeps are exactly alike, so i cant answer that exactly. but a normal stock jeep (atleast from what i have seen with mine and my friends before mods) will run between 190 and 210 depending on climate and driver and such. Lift doesnt change cooling properties much, larger tires, depending on axle gearing, put a little extra strain on the tranny which causes fluid temp to rise a bit, and the bumper may change cooling paterns if it blocks a significant amount of the front grille, enough so air cant pass through.

Id would say with all that, you should be running in the upper end of that spectrum, though i have had more experience with closed cooling systems.

turdles said:
While i was wheeling the other day my 2001 kept heating up extremly fast and the engine light would come on and the engine temp gauge was all the way to 250(or 260 what ever is the highest). After time the temp went down..... but when i tured it off and turned it back on the gauge would once again go all the way to the right and the light would come on. Any ideas of what is causing and how to fix it?

Does the electric fan switch on when the gauge reaches 220*? If it doesn't, that'll be the reason why your engine overheats at idle but not at high speed.

Dr. Dyno said:
Does the electric fan switch on when the gauge reaches 220*? If it doesn't, that'll be the reason why your engine overheats at idle but not at high speed.

The fins are fine but my eletric fan didnot come on at 210 and thats as high as i got it in the short time i had to drive it or mess with it today.

What should i do about the fan not turning on

The electric fan should turn on at 220*, not 210. If it doesn't turn on at all, here's what you can do to troubleshoot it:

1. Switch on the A/C. If the fan still doesn't work, the problem's either a blown fan relay or a blown fan motor. To check if it's the latter, run a wire directly from the positive battery terminal to the 12v end of the fan wiring connector. The fan will work if the motor's OK and you'll only need to replace the relay. If it doesn't work, you'll need a new fan.

2. If the fan does work when the A/C is on, that rules out both and the problem's most likely a faulty coolant temp. sensor (the one in the t'stat housing).

Back