• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual electric fans

Kevin3151

NAXJA Forum User
I had to replace my waterpump. The pulley was wobbling. Anyohow I went to Kragen and bought a cheap 10" electric fan. Then I put it in place of the belt driven fan with a few cuts to the fan shroud and also cutting off the pulley nut studs so I had enough room it all fits nice and I dont have to westle with the clutch fan ever again. I ran the power from the existing stock electric fan so essentially I have dual electric fans in my 88 xj. It idìfs quieter and seems to cool just fine at idle in 100 degree weather. Unplugging the fans makes the temp clhmb,pplugginÇ*them back in makes the temp drop like a rock.

Anyone else try this? The fan was 56 bucks at Kragen. No other local parts stores carried any fans that would fit. Its only rated at about 600 cfm but seems to work fine.
KH

I would not rely on that at all. I have twin electrics but run over 2000 CFM on the additional and that only makes it cool as well and fully functioning clutch fan. Have you tested it at 100* and climbing a steep long hill while off roading without wind assist? That when you know if it works or not and not before.

That 10" fan is way too small. I have a dual electric fan set-up using a 14" high performance electric fan (rated 1500-1800cfm) in place of the clutch fan in tandem with a newer style XJ auxiliary electric fan that has curved blades (11" diameter, at least 1200cfm). In 120* summer heat, they are adequate and even with the A/C running, the temp. won't go above 210* unless I drive through soft sand. They work great in the cooler months, definitely better than when I had the old clutch fan and the A/C is cooler too. Here's my write-up:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Estimated 263hp/323lbft, best 1/4 mile [email protected] before stroker install
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

I kinda have that feeling that it wont cool while in the sand or on long climbs in the desert. I may just throw the clutch fan back in, it worked fine before. An electric fan that really puts out was between 100 and 200 bucks and it wasnt that important to me.
KH

Go to the bone yard and get a taurus two speed fan. Use a three way switch. Takes some shroud cutting to make it work. But It works good enough to use it by itself. My opinion

Has anyone tried one of the Zirgo electric fans you can find on Ebay? There's some 3300 CFM 16" for $100, and some 2700 CFM 14" fans for around $60. Any opinions?

Shawn

Shawninsicily said:
Has anyone tried one of the Zirgo electric fans you can find on Ebay? There's some 3300 CFM 16" for $100, and some 2700 CFM 14" fans for around $60. Any opinions?

Shawn
I'm using two Zirgo 12" fans (1650cfm each) and they are adequate-barely. The problem with the larger fans is fitting them in, depth-wise. They might work with a stock radiator but I'm using a 3 core CSF with a custom aluminum shroud. The extra radiator width makes the 12" fans 2.75" depth the largest I could fit in without hitting rotating engine parts (bad for fan motors-take my word for it). The 14" and 16" fans are 3.5" deep.

The problem with using electric fans inthe XJ in place of the mechanical fan is the non exsistance of space for the everyday bone yard cheapo. I replaced mine about 10 months ago with a rather expensive dual electric set. Acording to Go-Jeep, you need about 2,800 CFM of air to keep the 4.0 cool. Especially with an automatic transmission you you will need to come as close as possible to the recomended CFM. I would say go for it. I love mine and have no problem with cooling the 4.0 since I replaced the stock fans.

Duel electric? hell My one electric doesn't even work. It works great if you don't mind stoping every 10 minuets to let the damn xj cool off!!!! It just stopped working this last weekend on a trail of all hills, half way through. That was fun!@#! Replacing\fixing it today after work. Is it really worth replacing the clutch fan with electric?

NCSUcherokee said:
If your electric fan doesnt work, the problem might not be the fan...

you might have a sticky T-stat

I just replaced the t-stat a month ago so I don't think that's the problem. I'll have to double check it. Thanks.

Well I tested my cheap 10" 550 cfm fan by idling on a slope and trying to get it to heat up. It sure did. And it had a hard time cooling back down. jumping on the road and doing 30 mph cooled it down before it got too hot. wheeling would overheat for sure. My experiment failed miserably. I threw a new clutch fan in today and it works again. I hate that damn thing though, such a pain to r&r. The autozone clutch fan I got was too long to fit over the studs and leaves only a 1/2 inch space between it and the radiator. also at 240 degrees the aftermarket clutch fan does not lock up. Its a pos. I need to find a better fan clutch that fits or get a taurus one or something.
KH

What other fans can be used?

I saw reference to Taurus and Zirgo.

I'm going to the boneyard tomorrow in search of a couple of fans and a few other parts. What other cars might have a decent fan for an XJ 4.0l radiator?

Mark

Thanks Dan, but I'm putting a Camaro 3.4l in my XJ, no option but to use electric fans.

I'd like a '94 XJ 4.0l or newer fans, but will be in the boneyard tomorrow looking for whatever looks like it will fit.

Mark

I have a write up on the setup that works very well, even crossing our deserts in 100* + temps. Plenty of failures from those who do not do research first and try to do it on the cheap also. The only way is the right way if you want it to work.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back