• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires and such

StuckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
How big of tires can I put under my stock 92 xj? Also what will fit on my stock rims?( ya know the 5 spoke one's with Jeep embossed on one spoke) Im looking for a good weekend warrior tire so if anyone knows any good off road tires that I wont have too much trouble with on road. Thanks for any help.
-Steve D

There are many variables here but if you use the search you will find the answer is 235*75R15 or 30*9.5 and the conservative vote is for 235 while most folk seem to get away with 30" and little or no rubbing. I've gone for 235 in the Cooper Discovery ST because I wanted good road behaviour in the wet etc and felt a full mud tire was too risky. Some one put it to me that you should think about what matters the most, the last 100 yards up a hill off road or the last 100 yards before you have a major prang on the road. The ST are a 60 40 tire with pretty agressive tread and I went for the LT (Light Truck) to get the stronger firewalls. There seems to be a strong group who favour BFGs but I wonder if that is because they have them and you never want to admit you made a mistake? I don't know about the Coopers from my experiences yet (so far great) but I did do a fair bit of research before deciding.

LT235's for sure, 30's probably, only 1/2 inch bigger [1" total], depends on your springs, older XJ's seem to sag depending on what they carried over their life, if your XJ was owned by say a Cap barbell salesman you might have sagged springs :D
My favorite tires were Pirelli Scorpion AT's and they were a great tire till they tripled in price, that ended that love affair. Tried Dunlop radial rover AT's and they were OK, not as good on wet roads as the scorpions but not terrible either, next up were BFG AT/KO's, bought them at BJ's Wholesale for like $105 a tire, mounted and balanced with lifetime roadhazard guarantee, they were $25 per tire cheaper than Sears when Sears had them on sale. Going on 2 years with them on there and had to use the hazard warranty twice, one for big nail thru the sidewall and the second time for a split sidewall. Sams clubs here in PA started carrying the AT/KO's also as well as the GY MTR's, prices are not bad but BJ's is still cheaper :D I run LT235's on my 98....

I have a stock 92 running BFG 30x9.5x15's on my 90 5 spoke rims. No rub anywhere. On my 90 the left side rubs slightly on the LCA turning left. I put 235 whatever on the 10 spoke stock rims, no rub.

The best thing, by far I ever did for my XJ was buy 235/75/15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos for it, they perform EXCELLENT in every condition I have encounter with them. Its literally like having a different Jeep, they're that great of a tire. Ask ANYONE whos ever ran them, between them and my Bilsteins my Jeep drives great!

I probably wouldn't rub connected with 30s on it, but disconnected they would rub for sure at full stuff.

I just bought a set of 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's a cpl months ago...

I really enjoy these tires, for an A/T they dig through the mud quite well, grip superbly on hard pack, sandy creeks, they do very well, but on the road is where they show their true colors....smooth at high speeds, stick to the road, and have great wet traction....

I've been looking at 30x9.5" All-Terrain A/Ts, and a Rusty's Budget Boost with Rusty's Hydro Shocks. Will they rub at all w/ disconnected sway bars?

Camshaft said:
I've been looking at 30x9.5" All-Terrain A/Ts, and a Rusty's Budget Boost with Rusty's Hydro Shocks. Will they rub at all w/ disconnected sway bars?
Yes.

There will be slight rubbing on the lower control arms at full steering lock, and you might find that the tops of the tires rub the inner fender liner when the suspension is fully stuffed.

The consensus is that the largest tire that will fit a stock XJ with NO rubbing is 235/75R15

I'm running 245 70 15 Cooper AT's. For all intents and purposes they are exactly the same height (maybe 1/8" in total) as the 235 75's but the tread pattern is 1" wider. Front on, the whole vehicle looks that much wider because of the increase in tire width. I have very minimal rubbing on the lca's - only when the wheels are turned over as far as they can possible go. You cannot even see any marks on the tire where any rubbing takes place. They certainly cost a lot less than any of the Goodyears I priced - I believe I saved more than a couple of hundred dollars on the set of four by buying Coopers.

My 2 cents.

Sean

I go where I get the best deal. I got my Dueler A/T Revos from my local Firestone/Bridgestone dealer because they had the buy three get one free deal. I couldn't find a deal like that anywhere else since no shipping was involved.

I can't see how the BJ's deal can be beat. All you do is buy the tires and you get them mounted, ballanced, rotated, and even replaced for free within a certain milage if you buy the cheap protection plan.

$103 a tire for BFG A/T KO, LT235/75QR15s? Sold.

SKINNY said:
I can't see how the BJ's deal can be beat. All you do is buy the tires and you get them mounted, ballanced, rotated, and even replaced for free within a certain milage if you buy the cheap protection plan.

$103 a tire for BFG A/T KO, LT235/75QR15s? Sold.

They were $106 a tire when I looked on monday, the 30's were $109 a tire and they come with the protection plan included, no extra charge. The 31's were $119.

seand said:
I'm running 245 70 15 Cooper AT's. For all intents and purposes they are exactly the same height (maybe 1/8" in total) as the 235 75's but the tread pattern is 1" wider. Front on, the whole vehicle looks that much wider because of the increase in tire width. I have very minimal rubbing on the lca's - only when the wheels are turned over as far as they can possible go. You cannot even see any marks on the tire where any rubbing takes place. They certainly cost a lot less than any of the Goodyears I priced - I believe I saved more than a couple of hundred dollars on the set of four by buying Coopers.

My 2 cents.

Sean
Actually, based on manufacturers' tire data, those 245s are 4/10" smaller in diameter and 3/10" wider than 235/75R15s. That much additional width is insignificant -- I'd rather have the taller tire for better ground clearance.

Eagle:

From the Cooper Website the following specs are given:

P245/70R15 Section width - 9.95 Overall height - 28.40 Tread width - 7.60

P235/75R15 Section width - 9.30 Overall height - 28.85 Tread width - 6.45

Wouldn't a 1.15" addition to tread width be preferable to a .45" increase in total overall height (or .22" increase in actual gound clearance)?

Sorry, I'm only new to this but when looking for tires I thought the wider tread would be of more advantage. Plus I wanted my new tires to be as close as possible to the size of my stock spare - to prevent any problems while driving in 4WD. Is my logic flawed?

Cheers,

Sean

The only time tire sizes really come into play is if you have a LSD or locker in one of the diffs. I put an Auburn LSD in the rear and need to pick up another larger spare to match my running tires though the LSD's are a bit more forgiving than a full locker. I still have my OEM spare, it has maybe 30 miles on it from when I picked up a nail thru a rear sidewall. Soon it will be another item relegated to the shed. Until then though I wll be doing a two tire flat fix if I get a rear one go.

Back