• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rim back spacing question

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a longshot but I am building a HP D44 for the front of my XJ. I am not changing the Ford 5x5.5 spindles and brakes. I am going to flip the TRE's at the knuckles. Does anybody have any experience on clearance issues with different back spacing of rims on this configuration? I hate to have to load the axle in the back of my rig and take it to the tire store so I can test fit rims. I will be running AR767's at 8" or equiv.

IIRC from reading past threads...Backspacing more than 3.5' or so will put the Ford Caliper/tierod ends into a 15" wheel. You can grind the caliper down some...

I'm running the F-150 knuckles right now with the drag link over and the tie rod under (heims). With 3.5" backspace wheels there is about 1" clearance from any of the pieces.

I don't know where John came up with grinding but the 5x5.5 axles came with 15" wheels from the factory. No grinding necessary.

Keep in mind though that the steering arms on those knuckles are at least 1" lower than the stock D30's. I strongly suggest going ahead with some Chevy knuckles and spindles now unless you really can't pay the extra (my problem). The angle of my draglink is close to what it was with 6" of lift and a T style steering under the knuckle on my D30. I'm running high missalignment (38 degree sweep) heims and bends in the drag link to keep from binding the joints.

I'm running 1 ton TRE's with an over tierod and drag link.

old_man said:
I'm running 1 ton TRE's with an over tierod and drag link.

You'll have plenty of room with 3 1/2" back spacing.

Really inspect the angle on the drag link though. Yours will probably be worse than mine since the drag link hooks up a few inches inboard of the knuckle. Think really hard about spending a little more cash now instead of later.

Do as I say not as I did. :jester:

Back