• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear axle

wingnut

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1998 Cherokee Classic with the 4.0 and the automatic transmission. When I got it home and finally crawled under it for a got look and I seen that I have the DANA 35 in the rear vs the 8.25. However sitting in my garage I have a 8.25 with the stock gear ratio which is the same as this Jeep. The axle came out of my 1995 Cherokee so it is a direct bolt in. My question is should I leave the 35 alone or swap out the 8.25 and part out the 35? I dont plan on doing any wheeling in this vehicle so strength is not the issue. Oh BTW the 35 is open and the 8.25 has thw Trac Loc.

Wingnut

Most people think the 8.25 is a stronger axle.

In the last years of production, DaimlerChrysler used the Dana 35 in the XJs with ABS and the 8.25 in the XJs without ABS. At least that's the prevailing wisdom. Does your "new" 1998 have ABS? If so, do you want to keep it -- because if you swap in the 8.25 you'll be deactivating the ABS.

I like the Trac-Loc on the 8.25. Get much snow there in VA? Nice to have.
Otherwise is it worth the trouble doing the swap if it doesn't matter to you.
The keep one for a spare or give it to someone...Like me! LOL

wingnut said:
I dont plan on doing any wheeling in this vehicle so strength is not the issue.
Wingnut

Why bother with the swap if you don't plan to wheel it?

Save (or sell) the 8.25 and be done with it.

I would be really interested in picking up that "spare" 8.25 if you aren't going to use it!!

I'm in NC - I could drive up there and make you "an offer you couldn't refuse!!" :D:D:D

Let me know if you decide not to swap. I really need a new rear end. My carrier bearings are shot and it looks like it's going to be cheaper to just buy a decent used complete rear end than to rebuild this one.

wingnut said:
I just bought a 1998 Cherokee Classic with the 4.0 and the automatic transmission. When I got it home and finally crawled under it for a got look and I seen that I have the DANA 35 in the rear vs the 8.25. However sitting in my garage I have a 8.25 with the stock gear ratio which is the same as this Jeep. The axle came out of my 1995 Cherokee so it is a direct bolt in. My question is should I leave the 35 alone or swap out the 8.25 and part out the 35? I dont plan on doing any wheeling in this vehicle so strength is not the issue. Oh BTW the 35 is open and the 8.25 has thw Trac Loc.

Wingnut

Even though ussualy the 8.25 is an upgrade to the 35, your 8.25 is 27 spline which is the weaker one of the 8.25 so it'd not be worth the hassle. And if you're not planning on wheeling it, then why even bother?

Back