• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS install help!!!

Shanbo44

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of an easy way to install a CPS? I am having no luck. :mad:

I have dropped my crossmember and have the tranny on a jack but I can';t get enough clearance for my hands and a wrench back there. I am about ready to cut a hole in my floorboard!

im gonna guess that yer a pretty big dude.
i paid an asian (seriously) from work to do mine cause he is small and had it done in like 10 mins.

I agree that it is a pain in the ass, but no need to cut a hole in the floor. I used 3/8" drive with a 3" extension, u-joint, then a 10" and 6" extension (all available at home depot). This gave me enough length to rotate the wrench. It takes patience to get the sockets on the bolts. Start by taking the top bolt out first. When putting in the new one, I connected the cable then dropped the CPS from above as close as I could get it. I'm not the smallest guy and was able to get my hands in there some way to seat the new one in there. Try different approach angles. Put in the lower bolt first to minimize the chance of dropping a bolt in the opening. Keep at it and it'll eventually go. Good luck!

frsno jeeper said:
im gonna guess that yer a pretty big dude.
i paid an asian (seriously) from work to do mine cause he is small and had it done in like 10 mins.

How much did you pay him? I'm Asian. Fly me out and I'll change your CPS anytime. :laugh: Being slightly under 6ft I'm considered a monster. No wonder my mom and sister laugh at me. :(

Some varying hints on the install:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26294&highlight=cps+extension

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/faqs/l/bl557h.htm

http://wagoneers.com/XJ/tech/CPS.html

I used a combination of 1/4 inch extensions similar to the above. It's worth the money to buy just about any tool you need. Another hint is to use the plastic dust shield that comes with the new CPS if yours is missing. Snap it in well, and it will help hold the CPS in place when you are groping around.

I disconnected my front driveshaft, then used the socket/u-joint/extension method

I got it down to 30 minutes on my 89 4.0 auto. Here is how I do it. 3/8 inch ratch attached to 2 to 3 8 to 10 inch extentions w. a universal joint then a 2-3 inch extention attached to a 11 mm (IIRC) socket w. a 3/8 inch drive ratchet. A light is a must. I come at the bolts from underneath the car but from up high in the tranny tunnel coming as straight at the bolts as possible. Remove top bolt first and replace it last to avoid droping it into the cps hole in the bellhousing. Start all bolts in by hand first to avoid cross threading ( can use socket on extension in your hand to do this but by hand to control feel to avoid cross threading). I did this once in 25 minutes on the street in the dark w. a flash light. Note often a bad cps is really just a bad cps wire harness connector. Greg

Back