• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will not start!!!!!!!

Jeepers Creepers

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90' XJ with a starting problem. I've changed every sensor, wiring harnes, coil, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel rail, injectors, relays, distributer, wires, plugs, computers, emission control, everything but the engine. This is driving me insane! I took out the injectors, leaving them on the rail and they all fire, and pulled all the plugs, leaving them on the wires and have fire, and you can't say we don't have air, so what could be next? PS its not timing or compression. Any ideas would be great. Please help this poor truck!

Just for laughs, shift your dist 180deg....

Yup. sounds like you need to re-index the distributor.

Jeepers Creepers said:
Thanks i'll play around with it.

If you're sure the timing is right relative to the crankshaft, but suspect it's 180 degrees off, you can do a quick test: just make a note of where the plug wires are, and offset them 180 degrees instead of the whole distributor. If that works, you can re-index the distrubutor at your leisure just to get the wiring neater and to feel good about it, but most engines will run just fine that way.* If it doesn't, your problem is elsewhere.

*90 degree V6's without offset crankpins might not, and some Porsches and VW's actually had slightly staggered timing, for some esoteric reason I can't now recall.

logdog said:
Yup. sounds like you need to re-index the distributor.

This article tells you how to do it:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

Make sure all the ground straps to the engine are secure and grounding out properly. If the body end is rusted out, the strap won't ground out properly and the engine won't fire up.

Back