• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fun in the Desert

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Fun in the Desert, the annual event in Johnson Valley, is Oct 8-10. Who's plannng to be there?

I'll be there and plan to run trails all three days. I haven't been in awhile since I've been to Moab the last four years, and it's the same weekend.

I'm gonna be there Friday night & wheel Saturday. What trails are what days?

-jb web wheeler extrordinaire

vintagespeed said:
I'm gonna be there Friday night & wheel Saturday. What trails are what days?

-jb web wheeler extrordinaire

Jim, they're running all the trails. I guess on Fri and Sunday you can just line up for the trail you want to run, but since Sat is the big day, you have to choose your trail with the registration. Paul and I, and I think Dave, are signed up for Outer Limits on Sat. Maybe you could call and see if there's room on OL, or we'll try to sneak you in. :)

Jes said:
His rig won't make it.

To the end of the trail?

Or to JV?

:D

Paul S said:
Even if he trailer's it out there, it'll never pass tech inspection.

Paul

Why's that?

-jb

Goatman said:
Fun in the Desert, the annual event in Johnson Valley, is Oct 8-10. Who's plannng to be there?

I'll be there and plan to run trails all three days. I haven't been in awhile since I've been to Moab the last four years, and it's the same weekend.

Is there a www I can visit to find out more about this event? Thanks!

mhead said:
Is there a www I can visit to find out more about this event? Thanks!

A quick search didn't turn up anything. You can go to the Cal4Wheel website and look for clubs, then Southern District, then Victor Valley Fourwheelers, to find contact information.

What would you like to know?

Goatman said:
A quick search didn't turn up anything. You can go to the Cal4Wheel website and look for clubs, then Southern District, then Victor Valley Fourwheelers, to find contact information.

What would you like to know?

Just general info. Didn't know where Johnson Valley is, but I'm guessing somewhere near Victor Valley. Maybe some pics of the runs and a map indicating how to get there. VV is a little distant from me (San Diego) but I sometimes get out that far. I tried the URL path you suggest which leads to www.vv4wheeler.com, but when I try to visit this site a lot of spam windows appear and nothing useful comes up.

mhead said:
Just general info. Didn't know where Johnson Valley is, but I'm guessing somewhere near Victor Valley. Maybe some pics of the runs and a map indicating how to get there. VV is a little distant from me (San Diego) but I sometimes get out that far. I tried the URL path you suggest which leads to www.vv4wheeler.com, but when I try to visit this site a lot of spam windows appear and nothing useful comes up.

From S.D. I believe you'd drive through Yucca Vally. J.V. is about 22miles N.W. of Y.V.
Reg. is $60.
Do a search on NAXJA for J.V. or Hammers & you should find plenty of Pics.
Paul

Paul S said:
From S.D. I believe you'd drive through Yucca Vally. J.V. is about 22miles N.W. of Y.V.
Reg. is $60.
Do a search on NAXJA for J.V. or Hammers & you should find plenty of Pics.
Paul
Mhead,

I live in Carlsbad. If you need a registration form I have one. Give me a call 760-889-3644. You mail in the registration. They charge us SD folks only $50 cause we vote republican. LA and SF counties are charged $60 cause they're a bunch of liberal democrats.

To get to JV either go 15 to Victorville and take any exit east to 247. the problem with this route is you hit every stinking traffic light. Or you can go 15 to 10 and go to Landers to 247. But there is no good place to get gas after landers.

Paul et al.

Mike Kuntz is leading Sunbonnet and posted in our sd4wheeler list that OL and WB were washed out in a flash flood. Have you guys heard anymore about it?

Ray

There was a pretty good thead In the General discussion forum on PBB board about the trails after the flash floods out there

Goatman said:

Unfortunately, that now goes to domain squatters. Any chance of a repost of the original?

mhead said:

Here's a link to some pics from an XJ run we did last year.

XJ's in JV "03

Here's a sample:
standard.jpg

Minimum equipment out there is two lockers, 33" tires, no D35 rear axles, no 260x front axle joints, good body protection, and preferably a winch.

rpili2001 said:
Mhead,

I live in Carlsbad. If you need a registration form I have one. Give me a call 760-889-3644. You mail in the registration. They charge us SD folks only $50 cause we vote republican. LA and SF counties are charged $60 cause they're a bunch of liberal democrats.

To get to JV either go 15 to Victorville and take any exit east to 247. the problem with this route is you hit every stinking traffic light. Or you can go 15 to 10 and go to Landers to 247. But there is no good place to get gas after landers.

Paul et al.

Mike Kuntz is leading Sunbonnet and posted in our sd4wheeler list that OL and WB were washed out in a flash flood. Have you guys heard anymore about it?

Ray

Pre Reg. is $50, late Reg. is $60. It's late.
I heard Boone road is a minimum of 12" lower than before, & up to 4' lower in spots. Even with a 4WD tow vehicle you'll need to carry some heat to avoid getting stuck.
I also heard that the upper half of OL is unrecognizable, & that some rock stacking & winching will be needed to make it passable.
Sounds like fun, we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Paul

Goatman said:
Here's a link to some pics from an XJ run we did last year.

XJ's in JV "03

Minimum equipment out there is two lockers, 33" tires, no D35 rear axles, no 260x front axle joints, good body protection, and preferably a winch.

Wow! Lets me out since I don't have the lockers or the tires... I like the full external roll cages pictured!! Anyone actually rolled and survived?

mhead said:
Wow! Lets me out since I don't have the lockers or the tires... I like the full external roll cages pictured!! Anyone actually rolled and survived?

Rolled no just laied on its side.
standard

Back