• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Electrical Issue

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
OK...another wierd electrical issue. My '89 XJ buzzers (warning buzzers) sound when the brake is depressed without the engine running. Even without the key in the ignition! As it might be related, I will also add that the door switch for the interior light only works intermittently for the drivers and passenger side front doors...it works great for rear doors...and not at all for the rear lift-gate.

Although perhaps unrelated, I should note that the alternator gage shows low when lights on at idle...showing about 10 volts. Reads closer to normal without lights on.

Any help is sincerely appreciated!

the door jamb switches are probably bad for the front doors
where is the buzzing coming from. it sounds like the relay for the shift interlock system the power wire in the fuse box should be connected to a cavity in the panel with power only with the key on, and check the ground from the relay for looseness
check alternator output voltage at the alternator while running. it is common for the gauges to be inaccurate.

I have a similar issue though but only when im driving. If I press the brake I can here a buzzing noise bu the passengers feet it seemsl ike its under the dash or something.

OK...to clarify, "buzzing" is the chime. The one that goes off if you leave your lights on...or if your door is open and the key is in...etc.

I forgot to mention...and it may add to the confusion, or aid in the diagnosis. I get a relay "click" sometimes when turning on the turn signal, or when depressing the brake. Figure that one out!

Again...thanks for all the help!

Also (seems I can't get all my thoughts into one post), I have lubed the door switches with WD-40. It helped them work correctly (turning on the dome light), but had no effect on the chime issue.

Sorry for so many posts!

Back