• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is best rear XJ axle ?

79yj

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a locked XJ Dana44 with 4.10-1 gears and aftermarket factory style axles.
I have 35" tires with 8" or so lift. I am in the middle of a F-150 radius arm 44 front axle swap and will have 5x5.5 bolt pattern in the front.
I am not a big fan of the 9"
I believe the Dana 60 is the front runner in my mind but 8 lugs instead of 5?
The 10.25 ford is better on clearance than the Dana 60 but has 8 lugs also.

The 8.8 seems the same as a Dana 44 to me. It will have 5 lugs but the wrong bolt pattern and width as well.

I would never put a toyota axle in my Jeep, ever.
Seems to me that my only choice is to go back with a Dana 44 or keep what I have and deal with different wheels or an adapter.

I guess what I am getting at is . Have I forgotten an axle possibility?
*************************************************************p.s. the front Dana44 HP ford axle has been narrowed to 60.5 inches wide to stay in the fenders as per local law.
So what would you run if you had your choice within normal monetary$$ range. I cant see me running a rear steer portal axle on the streets.
I should have made this a poll.

79yj said:
I am not a big fan of the 9"
Why?

I believe the Dana 60 is the front runner
why?

The 8.8 seems the same as a Dana 44 to me. It will have 5 lugs but the wrong bolt pattern and width as well.
what's wrong with it's width?
I would never put a toyota axle in my Jeep, ever.
Why?

Seems to me that my only choice is to go back with a Dana 44 or keep what I have and deal with different wheels or an adapter.
I should have made this a poll.

Polls are dumb. Since you didn't tell us anything about what you will actually be doing with it all I can say is a D60 is overkill. Assumiung they're alloys, Redrill the axles you have now to 5x5.5 and be done. Otherwise, get alloy axles that are 5x5.5

The thought I had about the 9" is that I dont like how low the pinion is, seems too close to the action.
The 8.8 is a little narrower at 58"
I only picked the 60 because it seems like the logical next step axle wise and since they are everywhere I can get ahold of them for cheap. I would have to narrow it though and change the hub to a 5.5 unit and that aint cheap.

I will probably never see any rocks but do like to wheel the XJ, mostly trails, creekbeds, hillclimbs and some mud. There is no telling how big the XJ will get I would bet that it will never see more than 37/38's due to local regulations which I am currently bending severely.
How large a tire will an alloy axle support?
How expensive is an Alloy shaft?
Drums are cheap enough.
This is why I posted the question. I need better ideas than I have on my own.
Thanks, Eric

9"!! yeah the pinion is low but its not bad after you tilt it up with shims. Plus if you don't see rocks then so what? It is easy to work on. You can change ring and pinion gears on a work bench without pulling the axle. There are a lot of options as far as lockers, ls, and aftermarket shafts. Plus you can get gears dirt cheap from drag racers trying to dile in their ratios. I run 36's with stock shafts and a 4.6L and I have never even been worried. And it's the same pattern as your d44 front.

Last edited:
PM Beezil.
He has a Scout II 44 with 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and 5.13 gears and a Detroit and its for sale.
I think it has spacers for XJ WMS.
The only problem is the 11 1/8 brakes, which can be expensive to get parts for.
Personally, I would look for a FF 60 and have it shaved for clearance. (1ton)
HTH.

did you think of swapping out the rear 44 shafts for 5 on 5.5? i thought someone made upgraded shafts for the 44 that had both sizes drilled.

I may be thinking of the teraflex disc brakes. I know that have both paterns drilled. I don't know, I am only at 4.5" w/ 33's and the D30 & XJ44 :bunny:

Back