• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker switchs: mounting ideas

JohnJohn

Member #42
Anyone got any pics of locker switches mounted inside the center console box?

I was thinking of have a plate made from sheet metal to act as a mounting point for my locker switches. I also might through in a gauge for my air tank. The plate would lie flat about 2" down inside the box. This would give the tops of the switches enough clearance for the console lid to close. Any pros or cons about this set up you guys can think of?

Thanks

I don't have any pics, but I put my front arb locker switch and comp switch just to the right of my auto tranny shifter on the plate that comes out to access the shifter handle. You have to watch where you place them to get proper clearance below to put the plate in, but it is out of the way so I don't accidently hit the switch, but still at arms reach to lock or unlock. I love the front arb, rear full time detroit setup. If for some reason my arb comp doesn't want to work, I at least have a rear locker that gets me through just about anything anyways.
Troy

Seems the two drawbacks would be 1) the need to have the lid laid open to work the switches while gettin it (could get broken off or kill someone), and 2) the loss of functionality of the console as a place to keep stuff. Neither of these is a huge problem, but that's what occurs to me. I cut mine into the front face of that space, such that one switch is on each side of the parking brake lever. This way they're out of the way, yet fall right under my fingers when my right arm is laying on the console.

Heres mine.

standard.jpg

zjmikey said:
Heres mine.

standard.jpg

That's a zj isn't it. :doh: I have 1 too and recognize that info center.

My issue lies in the switches themselves. There is NO electrical to them. They have three airline hose attachments on the back. I need a good amount of space behind to mount the switch and run all the air lines. Here is a pic of the switch:
locker_pics_051.2jpg.JPG

I agree the switches are going to be troublesome at first, but they will also be hidden and out of the way. No knocking them on or off while on the trail. The console box give me enough space for everything.

If you had an older Style XJ, I would say put them where the factory clock is.
All radios these days have their own clock. So its kind of a useless item there.
I was able to get all three there
arb.jpg

BTW Ive never seen those switches. Are those the factory Rubi switches?
I had at one time the rancho 9000 air-crap system on my Jeep.
I mounted the gauge and two switches with airlines in the dash. Plenty of room back there for air fittings and such
worked good and it was low enough that it was not easy to accidentally hit it.
but again it was for an older style XJ
You can see them to the right of the CB under the steering wheel. I never removed it because I would have 3 gaping holes there with nothing to fill.
interior5.jpg

JohnJohn said:
Anyone got any pics of locker switches mounted inside the center console box?

I was thinking of have a plate made from sheet metal to act as a mounting point for my locker switches. I also might through in a gauge for my air tank. The plate would lie flat about 2" down inside the box. This would give the tops of the switches enough clearance for the console lid to close. Any pros or cons about this set up you guys can think of?

Thanks
Since everyone strayed from the topic and offered all sorts of differnt ideas, here's something to consider. There are 4 switch setups for XJ's (newere ones) where you have the fogs, defrost, wiper. Depending on what you arealdy have available there (maybe you already have one spot free) then the 4 mount point unit would give you another and you'd have the abilty to mount both locker swtiches. Also I can't really say about how often do you use them, but look at it this way: if you will want to turn in on and off you'll end up having to open and close the console and that might get a bit of a PITA after a while.

What about having a full, 5 sided box made (or make it yourself) and attatch it to the headliner? That way you are not giving up any room, except like 2 inches in the center of the vehicle, right in front of the glass- it's not used for your skull anyways... the only problem i could see there would be the length of the hoses... other than that, thet's where i'd put them. Of course I already mounted the CB there in my 95' XJ, but any switches that will fit i'll put in my factory overhead of my 00', and if they don't fit... i'll make them. Just a few thoughts- good luck with mounting the switches.

P.S.- This would take me about 30 minutes to make it out of 1/2" Plywood, curved to the roofline, brad nailed and glued, then wrapped in trunk cloth (like we use in our amplifier racks, and sub boxes) or shoot a coat or two of primer on it, then any color you wanted.(a lil longer due to time needed to let paint dry.)

Last edited:
something to think about,

for all of us who have had an attack of the dumba$$ and drove our XJ into a pond or something that comes up above the door line, and drove home, then decided to take out our carpits so as to allow them to dry properly and not smell like pond till the end of time, the center concole has to be removed... meaning that your switches would have to be moved... and that would suck to plumb them twice... or 5 times... whatever floats your XJ

good luck - wish i had the cash for a locker system like that....

Bear549 said:
I used a pneumatic switch for mine off of a powertank, no electrical in the system at all.

dsc00212.jpg

im001138.jpg

im001139.jpg

I have the same switches. I have them mounted on my center consol. I unscrewed the tub that holds the junk under the armrest, drilled a couple of holes and mounted the switches. Remember to space the switches out if you want to make use of the cup holders.

THE_OWL said:
BTW Ive never seen those switches. Are those the factory Rubi switches?
I had at one time the rancho 9000 air-crap system on my Jeep.
I mounted the gauge and two switches with airlines in the dash. Plenty of room back there for air fittings and such
worked good and it was low enough that it was not easy to accidentally hit it.
but again it was for an older style XJ
You can see them to the right of the CB under the steering wheel. I never removed it because I would have 3 gaping holes there with nothing to fill.
interior5.jpg

I need info on the laptop mount too. I have that same machine(see www.mybigpocket.com) NEED INFO!!

What do you guys use the lap tops for while driving??

I just look out the window to see where I am!

:D

Hey on that all in one switch, who makes that?

And

Have you vented those out side or have you left the vent in the cab? Do you smell diff oil ever?

hinkley

Kejtar said:
Since everyone strayed from the topic and offered all sorts of differnt ideas, here's something to consider. There are 4 switch setups for XJ's (newere ones) where you have the fogs, defrost, wiper. Depending on what you arealdy have available there (maybe you already have one spot free) then the 4 mount point unit would give you another and you'd have the abilty to mount both locker swtiches. Also I can't really say about how often do you use them, but look at it this way: if you will want to turn in on and off you'll end up having to open and close the console and that might get a bit of a PITA after a while.

I just wish the switches were not so long. I need a good four inches under each switch to clear the bottom and the three air hoses that go into each one.

Last edited:
Mark Hinkley said:
What do you guys use the lap tops for while driving??

I just look out the window to see where I am!

:D

Hey on that all in one switch, who makes that?

And

Have you vented those out side or have you left the vent in the cab? Do you smell diff oil ever?

hinkley

Not sure Mark, they came with my Tera T-Lockers.

I don't think I'll get any oil smell they just run mechanism on the rear/front of each diff.

The auto focus on my digicam sucks:
b-ter-tl442-30c.jpg
b-ter-tl442-30a.jpg

Hey John,

What about a cover for the change holder in front of the shifter? Cut out the back of it and there'll be plenty of space behind the cover.

Back