• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Closed Radiator to Open -Conversion- ?

BuGG

NAXJA Forum User
I didn this conversion a few years ago. The GDI never gets above 190 with the stock flex fan so I never needed to put the electric fan in. I just read an article about the coolant sensor that goes in the thermostat housing adjusts the fuel mixture. Is that right? I am still running the 87 thermo housing. I never reinstalled the themp sensor. Never needed to. My Jeep runs very rich and has idle issues. I just wanteed to know if there were other fucntions of this temp sensor other than turning on the electric fan.

Thanks

BuGG

I have a 88 XJ and the ONLY fuction that temp sensor does is turning on and off the electric fan. The sensor is a switch not a temp sensor that tells you the temp. When the temp reaches 190F then the switch will close, this will then energize the relay and provide power to the electric fan.

I am still running a closed system, I like having a coolant reservoir above the engine so I know the engine is full of coolant. When you decide to change your radiator you may want to go back. I find staying stock on some things just makes life easier. I agree the pressure bottle is the weak link. I also found the heater hoses are different on the later XJ. The pipe threaded into water pump is different. On my 88 XJ the hose makes the 90 degree bend, on the later XJs the pipe has the bend. Did you also change the pipe for the water pump?

NO worry about the sensor being unhooked. The electric fan will still run IF you had air conditioning. The electric fan should come on every time the AC compressor clutch engages and turns off when it disengages.

Back