• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dancing front end

Chico

NAXJA Forum User
Need help with front end. When I hit a bump on the road the Jeep's end goes nuts! I've replaced the steering stabilizer, upper and lower control arm bushings with poly ones, and new track bar. Any ideas? I have a 1987 xj.

thanks in advance

what about your shocks?
if they are blown, the weels bounce and it might feel like near to no steering at all...

You did not say if you have a stock suspension or a lifted suspension. I had a similar problem when I'd hit the brakes. I decided to change the factory shocks since they had 115,000 on them. The new shocks fixed the jumping problem and revealed I had warped front rotors.

How old are your shocks? I recently saw a Monroe Billboard which said to change shocks and struts every 50,000 miles. My 1969 Camero owner's manual said to change shocks every 25,000 miles. So if your shocks are over either of those mileages I'd install a new set.

I have installed the blue monroe matics thean after 30,000 miles I changed to monroe reflex shocks. The Reflex are a better shock and plan to install another set when the time comes.

You also may want a front end inspecton done, you may have a worn ball joint or rod end bearing. You could even have a bad hub but doubt that. Time to go back to basics.

You may also be suffering from Death Wobble, do a search and see if what happening to you is that. Death wobble happens with lifted suspensions if I recall correctly. I never experienced it.

Chico: I'm having the same problem with my 88 xj. Seems to come from the right front on mine. Have to almost come to a stop before it quits. I haven't yet had time to get under it and look to see whats causing it. If you find out on yours, please post back and tell us what you found and I will do likewise if I find my problem. Mine seems to be getting worse. Thanks

Check tie rod ends, then ball joints, then tire balance, then alignment.

Check the Toe. If it's off it will send the front end in too a tisie when you hit a bump. Also know as death wobble. I set mine to "0" and drives great.

Haulgas said:
Check the Toe. If it's off it will send the front end in too a tisie when you hit a bump. Also know as death wobble. I set mine to "0" and drives great.
Toe is not the cause.

I just drove an MJ about 250 miles with the front tires toed out 1/2" and there wasn't a hint of death wobble. IMHO the first thing to check when DW appears is always tire balance -- loose components don't cause it, but allow it to become worse. Toe doesn't have much to do with it.

Chico said:
When I hit a bump on the road the Jeep's end goes nuts!

If this only happens when you hit a bump or other road irregularity, then tire balance and warped rotors are not part of your problem. Focus on loose steering and supsension parts and alignment issues.

Back