• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drain Gas Tank

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Has anyone done this?Gas in tank over 2 yrs old.Will still burn when drained out of the fuel rail,and lit with a match.
I,m thinking two choices A-pull line running to fuel filter and gravity drain
B-place hose in filler pipe and siphion it out
This is in the 87 4.0 and it has a factory gas tank skid plate that would require too much effort to remove. :dunno:
Wayne

The easiest method is to pull the output from the tank and fire the fuel pump up and let it run. If there is only a few gallons in the tank, I would change the filter, put in a can of BG44k, and fill the tank. It should run just fine. The biggest threat is not stale gas but rust that may have formed in the top of the tank. Pulling the skid and the tank isn't that hard of task. If I remember right it is 4 bolts for the skid and two nuts for the main portion of the tank, remove a few 10mm screws to allow access to the filler neck where you loosen the hose clamps.

Thanks for the reply.
I know to do it right the tank should come off but i know that those bolts would be Very stubberon(sp) and most likley break off.
Took me a while to get what the BG44 was .Got some BR-12 or what ever to put in and fresh gas with Sta-bil mixed up.
Thanks ,
Wayne

Back