• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushing replacement question.

Bjack

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 XJ with what I think is about a 5 to 6 inch lift. I'm buying new front and rear axels from a buddy that have 4:10 ratio with air lockers. I'm thinking I possibly should replace the bushings on the upper / lower control arms, and rear leafs. I've always been pretty handy, but am not sure how tough this will be, or even where to get replacement bushings. Can anyone offer advice before I start.

Thanks for you're comments

Bjack said:
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 XJ with what I think is about a 5 to 6 inch lift. I'm buying new front and rear axels from a buddy that have 4:10 ratio with air lockers. I'm thinking I possibly should replace the bushings on the upper / lower control arms, and rear leafs. I've always been pretty handy, but am not sure how tough this will be, or even where to get replacement bushings. Can anyone offer advice before I start.

Thanks for you're comments

Definitely do the UCA bushings while you have the axle out. The bushings are easy to find at any parts store. Just be aware they may not list them for your year. You can also request bushings for a TJ 96-present or ZJ. The bushings are the same. They should only cost about $8 ea.

Lets clarify this!The upper and lower bushings are not the same(physical size)!A lot of the aftermarket arms do use O.E.M. bushings,lift doesn't make any difference!If your still running stock arms at that lift,it's time for an upgrade!

Here is a tip. Those bushings can be a PIA to get out if you don't know the secrets. Go to Autozone and get their ball joint press kit that looks like a big c clamp. They have it in their tool loaner program. It works great for pressing the bushings in and out.

Back