• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low oil pressure/stalling

Natural Ice

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend my girlfriend drove through a deep mud hole that completely caked the engine compartment with mud. I managed to get everything pretty clean and it drove fine for about 100 miles then stalled driving down the road at about 30 mph. It didn't want to restart at first and now wont keep any oil pressure at idle. when i start driving the pressure goes back up but when I lay off the gas the pressure will fall to 0 and it will stall. Also got a check engine light with a code indicating improper fuel air mixture and a random misfire on cylinder 1. Its a 2000 model with the 4.0 and auto tranny. I know it could probably be a bunch of stuff but any help would be appreciated

I wonder if the loss of pressure causes the stall or the other way around....
Now... did you get any muck into your air intake? how does it look inside the airbox? how does your tb look?

I would clean the oil pressure sender first. It may simply be reading wrong. When you cleaned the engine did you wash up around the throttle body? If so you may have gotten the TPS soaked which will cause the idle problems. The best thing to do is to beg, borrow, or steal a mechanical oil pressure gauge and verify the actual pressure.

You DID change the oil immediately after this little mishap, right? ... I hope.

Natural Ice said:
Last weekend my girlfriend drove through a deep mud hole that completely caked the engine compartment with mud. I managed to get everything pretty clean and it drove fine for about 100 miles then stalled driving down the road at about 30 mph. It didn't want to restart at first and now wont keep any oil pressure at idle. when i start driving the pressure goes back up but when I lay off the gas the pressure will fall to 0 and it will stall. Also got a check engine light with a code indicating improper fuel air mixture and a random misfire on cylinder 1. Its a 2000 model with the 4.0 and auto tranny. I know it could probably be a bunch of stuff but any help would be appreciated

Check the plugs, plug wires, cap, and coil to cap lead to make sure they're not contaminated with water/dirt causing the misfire. Also check the oil pressure sending unit, TPS, CPS connector, and look inside air intake/TB for mud/oil contamination. Clean everything thoroughly.

I suggest you start with the Camshaft Position Sensor. Your XJ is a 2000 and the CMP is low on the passenger side of the engine block, where the distributor would've been. Easy spot for mud to reach.

I just drove it home from a shop where she had it looked at. They said they wanted to change the MAP sensor. On the way home the oil pressure was more stable but it still wanted to run at extremely low rpm slowly tapering off to nothing even when traveling down the road at 50 mph

I am also about to run out and get a the stuff to change the oil and oil pump screen just in case. It didnt sit in the mud just ran straight through a 20 yard 2 foot deep pit 2 times. It was at yankee lake truck night in eastern ohio/western PA if anyone is familiar with the area. not too many XJs there though just lots of big chevys and fords getting stuck left and right.

New symptom I have noticed that the RPMs seem to be limited to 3000 after that it alternatively cuts then supplies fuel not letting it go any higher. It does this randomly on the road as well

Back