• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Traqnny mount upgrade???

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I searched both forums and found nada on this topic. My tranny mount is going fast! Is there a better way to do it or is the stock rubber one as good as it gets? Can I mount the tranny without rubber there? In other words a metal mount. Thoughts? Ideas please? Just incase you cannot see the sig. 94 2.5L, ax-5, np231 all in an 84 body!

Just so you guys no, with a poly mount, alot of the vibrations will be transfered to the body. I bought poly mounts for my motor and tranny, I turned the Jeep on and thought I was in an and big rig. My girlfriend liked it of course, but it gets annoying fast, especailly when your fog lights and things vibrate to hell. I went back to rubber and things are much better. Just my O2

That is what I have heard...is it a stiffer material? Is that why it does that?

Poly is much stiffer. I tried a poly tranny mount for a day. I had heard that there might be some slight vibes "that you get used to". My vibes were teeth rattling. Some people said not to be such a puss and get used to it. No way, it was totally undrivable. Went back to a rubber mount. (Your results may vary.)

I replaced my motor and tranny mounts on my little red jeep yesterday... I used MORE (rubber control arm bushing?) motor mounts and an AutoZone rubber OEM type for the tranny.

I did the motor first, and when I fired it up to check for oil leaks, I noticed a bunch more vibration, especially at idle. I may just replace them again with stock and swap the MOREs onto the trail rig where vibes don't matter. They do appear 'bombproof' ecpecially when observed next to the bombed out stockers, and are servicible later on... I was hoping the tranny mount would help still things out, but it didn't.

I have no experience with poly mounts, but I'd expect it to be pretty buzzy.

The unique & $$$ Peugot 5 speed mount on my MJ failed/split horizontally through the rubber, so being cheep & industrious, I drilled a 1/2" hole on each side and thru-bolted it back together. It worked longer than the tranny did :dunno: and it didn't vibe any more than before.

woody said:
The unique & $$$ Peugot 5 speed mount on my MJ failed/split horizontally through the rubber, so being cheep & industrious, I drilled a 1/2" hole on each side and thru-bolted it back together. It worked longer than the tranny did :dunno: and it didn't vibe any more than before.

Woddy the more I get to know you and your stile the more it reminds me of me.... You are a cheap bastid! LOL! I was actually considering some type of home brew rubber/bolt mount. The one's at Advanced were $23 and $29... And they were different... but neither said which was for a auto and which was for a manual....

The M.O.R.E. smooth out a little after they're broken in, but they'll never be as smooth as the stockers. Also, I believe the poly tranny mounts raise the tranny 1", which could lead to vibes, etc. Anybody know if all brands of poly tranny mounts are 1" taller, or just certain ones?

Wow thanks for mentioning that I geuss I never really thought about or heard anthing on the hardness and vibes. I geuss I'll just do a rubber one I think napa has em for $35? Woody how much was the rubber mount at Autozone if you dont mind me asking?

TORX

IIRC the OEM type rubber tranny mount is approx $30 and the motor mounts are approx $25/pair.

It's probably wise to do both at the same time, since one or the other in a worn condition will affect the life of the fresh part.

Back