• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to window vents

copperhead

NAXJA Member #984
My 1987 2 door XJ is in need of new doors. I would like to keep the window vents, but most doors I find have no side vents. I am up North where rust is king, so a good set of doors is har to find. Has anyone tried to install window vents on an XJ that didn't come equiped with them?

Thanks,

Copperhead

You can't just swap the glass. You have to remove the main window, then remove the front window channel and the triangular frame holding the fixed vent and replace that with the entire vent window assembly from the donor door. It's a straightforward swap, but a bit of a PITA.

Eagle said:
You can't just swap the glass. You have to remove the main window, then remove the front window channel and the triangular frame holding the fixed vent and replace that with the entire vent window assembly from the donor door. It's a straightforward swap, but a bit of a PITA.

You do not have to remove the main window. You have to remove the interior panel, and it's best to remove the outside weatherstrip as well for clearance. Then with main window rolled down, remove the bolt holding the channel at the bottom, and the two screws holding the frame at the top, and tilt the triangle back, then out, then pull it up. What you're removing is, as EAgle notes, the entire vent window frame, including the front channel for the main window, as a unit. At the bottom of the channel is the tab that holds the bolt, and this must be worked around the corner of the main glass, which is why you need to remove the outside weatherstrip. Once you've done it a couple of times, it isn't that hard.

If you're doing a pair of doors, that's 4 removals and two replacements. Plenty of time for practice.

Back