• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What conversion parts ?

2wdxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I got my 89 MJ this summer I have been wanting to convert to 4wd. I have been looking at different MJs and XJs with 4wd as a donor. What are the best stock parts I should be looking for and from what year. I hear that the aw4 is a good choice but how do you identify all the 4wd parts?

I have a chance to pick up a 87 cherkee with 4wd and just want to make sure that this vehical has all the good stock parts. I did do a search and I found alot of good stuff bt none of them really mention what parts to look for.After I do the 4wd drive conversion Ill be building a stroker with the old motor.

Thanks for the Help!
Randy

If you're going automatic, all years used the AW4 tranny behind the 4.0 liter engine, so there's no problem there. Transfer case behind the 4.0 was always the same two choices -- NP/NVG 231 ("Command Trac") was standard, and NP/NVG 242 ("Selec-Trac") was the option with full-time 4WD capability.

If you're considering going 5-speed, the 5-speed used in 87 thru 89 was the Peugeot BA 10/5 and that's not a good choice. It's not very strong, but the bigger problem is that parts are scarce and expensive. A better choice is the AX-15 used from 90 thru 99, and the best choice is the NVG 3550 used in 2000 and 2001.

Just wanted to say Thanks
Eagle, you answerd my questions. I hope I can call on you when I need to more infomation on this topic.

Randy

Back