• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango (Cooper) XTR

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever heard of these tires? I have been looking and shopping for tires for about two months now. I thought I had decided to get the Firestone Destination M/T's but I walked into the last place I was going to get pricing today and they mentioned these. They told me they were made by Cooper (manufactured right here in NorthWest Ohio) so I thought why not! I got four in 235/75-15 mounted and balanced for $390. They aren't as sexy as the Destination's but I like the idea of not spending as much and keeping my neighbors employed.

Anyone else ever heard of these?

Burley

arent as sexy? if its cooper its gonna be good

Are you looking for a street tire or an AT? I've heard good things about Kuhmo if your looking for a cheap mud tire. I think that the Tire Rack has them for about 80 bucks a piece.

hes not looking, he already bought them

I work on forklifts and have been in that cooper plant near Dayton many times. They do have Durangos all over the warehouse along with many other tire names made by Cooper. I myself have the Destination MTs and love them. Goodluck with the tires.

ctavel said:
Are you looking for a street tire or an AT? I've heard good things about Kuhmo if your looking for a cheap mud tire. I think that the Tire Rack has them for about 80 bucks a piece.

I thought about the Kumho's but I like the idea of keeping our folks here in the USA employed, especially when they live in the same area as me.

I looked these tires over really good tonight and they are really a great tread pattern! It was such an impulse buy I just saw meaty tread and heard "Cooper" then went for it. Can't wait to get them muddy!

Burley said:
I thought about the Kumho's but I like the idea of keeping our folks here in the USA employed, especially when they live in the same area as me.

I looked these tires over really good tonight and they are really a great tread pattern! It was such an impulse buy I just saw meaty tread and heard "Cooper" then went for it. Can't wait to get them muddy!

I think the Kumho's are made here, but they are not an American owned company. Call me crazy but that alone steers me from them.

Cooper makes a great MT. I have a good friend running the ST's on his YJ. The durango is nearly the same tire. The Destination MT's have that carbon fiber doohickies in them (similar to the "green diamonds" used in Hi-Tec's retreads) and are supposed to be one of the few MT's good in the rain, but for the price I think you made a choice you will not be disappointed with.

I have a set of MTR's but only because I lucked into a deal and bought a set of 5 for $450 from a guy who totalled his XJ before he could mount them. I never would have paid what they normally go for.

Happy mudding!!!

ill second the dayton timberline mt's, awesome awesome tire, not to loud on the road, and stick like fat kid to a refridgerator on the rocks. havent realy mad them in any mud, but so far, everything ive threw at them they rocked in. all in all a great tire id say.

kolby

just out of curiosity... I have a set of Futura Dakota's on my jeep. Now I know that these "pepboys name" are made by cooper, but does anyone know what model they would be similar too? I can say they have an agreesive pattern like that of an at. Regardless, awesome tire in the snow and rain, and on top of that great on the highway too.

Being in the transportation industry we go through a lot of tires. We have run everything from Michalins, to Generals on our trucks and penny per mile the Cooper will last as long as any other tire and usually cost less! They are also one of the last manufactures to produce there tires in country! Now that particular model I am not familure with but I run the Discover STT on my jeep and love them! I just put a set of ATR's on my DD Ford F150 too. I would recomend Cooper to anyone.....

burley, can you post a pic of the tires.

they look almost the same as the cooper st , i had those and i loved em.

As a former employee of a Cooper subsidary, I can say that these are good tires. As the cheap ba$tard that I am, I can say that they didn't <i> quite </i> last as long as I would have hoped, but I guess it was still longer than most AT's. The Cooper co. has many sub-line distributors such as Mastercraft, Hercules, yes the pep-boys stuff, and a several others. The fact that they are american owned and manufactured does strike a patriotic bone, but luckily they have a much better than average quality vs. price product.

What you will find with cooper tires, is that there is basically only a few actual types of tire made, but each subsidary has it's own <i> spin </i> on the origial tread design. Take the MT's for example. Same basic cooper tire, slightly different sipe pattern or lug placement/shape, but same structure, size, shape. Coopers don't dry-rot as fast as michelin or pirelli, don't go out of round as often as firestones, but if not properly cared for (pressure, rotation, etc) they will wear out and fail just as fast as any other.

-Steven

Well it rained really hard today and I wanted to post an update. The Durango XTR's handle really well! Unfortunately I had to apply a major amount of brake while going 60MPH on wet roads and didn't slip at all. Good thing too, or I would have been wearing the a** end of a six axle dump truck!

Thought you guys might like to hear the news.

Burley

i've been running the XTRs for ~2 years...
and while these are my first set of tires (so i don't have anything to compare them to) i've been happy. they are more aggressive than their AT model, but less so than their MT.

mmixj.jpg

in fact i'm thinking of maybe selling them if anybody is interested (265/75/16 = 32x10.50) so i can go up a size or two... (testing the waters so let me know).

I had the same size set last year for winter, they were great tires, and I would buy them again, just lifted my jeep now so they looked to small, and sold them

Back