• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft lenths; Auto vs Manual - 95 XJ

Chief78CJ7

NAXJA Forum User
I have a driveshaft from a 95 XJ with an auto tranny. I have the AX15. I'm wondering if anyone of you know what the stock driveshaft lengths are for an 95 XJ, both for an Auto and for the Manual so I can compare.

I know I can get the one shortened or lengthened which is what I'll be doing, but I'm wondering which way I'll need to go, or if possibly they're close enough.. :)

TIA!
Chief
95XJ, 78CJ7, 52CJ3A

Well, I wish it was the Auto that was longer since its cheaper to get a driveshaft cut down instead of lengthed, but your info does help. Do you know how much shorter the Auto tranny version driveshaft is by chance? If its a 1/2" or so, then I could probably get away with not lengthening it..

Chief78CJ7 said:
Well, I wish it was the Auto that was longer since its cheaper to get a driveshaft cut down instead of lengthed, but your info does help. Do you know how much shorter the Auto tranny version driveshaft is by chance? If its a 1/2" or so, then I could probably get away with not lengthening it..

I put the rear shaft from an auto 89 into my stick 95 with no issues at all. They certainly looked the same length, and so far no problems. I guess now I'll have to get under there and actually measure the thing!

edit: all right, I went out and measured it, and the auto shaft is about a half inch shorter than the stick. I guess I'll have to get off my cheap butt and actually buy a u-joint for the original shaft. But I have had no problems with the length difference.

Last edited:
Matthew Currie said:
I put the rear shaft from an auto 89 into my stick 95 with no issues at all. They certainly looked the same length, and so far no problems. I guess now I'll have to get under there and actually measure the thing!

edit: all right, I went out and measured it, and the auto shaft is about a half inch shorter than the stick. I guess I'll have to get off my cheap butt and actually buy a u-joint for the original shaft. But I have had no problems with the length difference.
Not all jeeps were created equal :D Having said that, the big determining factor IIRC is the combination of the tcase and tranny which determines overall length thus your driveshaft (plus whatever they had handy around that year or at that time @ the factory)

Back