• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving to SNOW......What Tires

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
Going west for the season. I am gonna be deep in the Rockies.
What tires do you guys suggest for that environment?

Want to stick with 235/75...or maybe some 30's

Thanks
T

Where are you moving to? I am a little nervous about how my 32x11.50 mt/r's are going to be in the snow. I don't have abs and I live on a long steep winding road in the middle of the rockies. We get about 350 inches of snow a year here. I think I may just run chains all winter.

I have had good luck the past two winters with my bfg at/ko in LT235/75R15's. You might want to go smaller, this will allow you to clear chains in the BACK. A normal chained tire will beat any non chained tire hands down. It should be interesting as this will be the first winter that I have had a limited slip so I am curious how that will effect handling, from past experience it should improve it but I will wait for the first storm to see what really happens. My last locked vehicle was a 69 Willys wagon with D60's in it, virtually unstoppable once I got moving :D specially at stop signs :confused:
Nay lives in the rockies so he should have some good suggestions....ones that don't involve rebuilding the XJ from the ground up too....

I ran BFG AT's over the winter of '02-'03 and I can't tell you how impressed I was. Stopping on ice was no big deal and traction off the line was excellent too as long as I was sensible(no drag racing ;) :lecture: ). The ATs also did very well offroad in 8" fresh powder(not quite the rockies, but it's all we had). My friends all ran BFG MTs at the time and I was passing them. I ran MTRs last winter and they were marginal to say the least. Locked up during braking, spun off the line, and didn't do very well in the deep stuff either.

HTH,

Ary

Search on 'chains' for a thread from about 6 months ago. This was cussed and discussed at great length. Short story is snow tires (Blizzak?) were the best, followed by AT and then MT. Chains were discouraged by some, loved by others.

Kejtar said:
I got snow cables for tires that fit 235's if you're interested :D
Out here nobody puts on chains/cables to my surprise. Lived in so. cal for 22 years and if you go up to big bear they make you put chains on if they even THINK it is going to snow. Some days there will be like 70 accidents on one section of hwy, but it still doesn't matter. That said, I'm running BFG ATs and feel solid on ice.
Carnage Canyon last winter
11.jpg

Your going to have a hard time beating a Michelin LTX M/S. All I do is tires and every customer that has them wouldn't have it any other way. Living in Minnesota we get a lot of snow too.

I've lived here in the Rockies for 40 years. The best tire I have ever used is the BFG AT/KO. They do a good job on most of the trails around here as well.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

i put dunlop radial rovers on my 89 and have had no problems, they arent too agressive so they are not noisy on paved roads and will also grip on snowy roads. also they werent very expensive either.

I ran BFG AT's two winters ago, here in MN. Last winter I ran (and I'm still running) Yokohama Geolander AT+II's. The Geolanders have a better bite on ice, and are much louder on the street, but the two both perfomed well in snow. If you're moving to a place with real cold winters, I'd go with the geolanders, if you don't mind the extra noise. Otherwise, it's a toss up for me.

TheDogsAreDead said:
I ran BFG AT's two winters ago, here in MN. Last winter I ran (and I'm still running) Yokohama Geolander AT+II's. The Geolanders have a better bite on ice, and are much louder on the street, but the two both perfomed well in snow. If you're moving to a place with real cold winters, I'd go with the geolanders, if you don't mind the extra noise. Otherwise, it's a toss up for me.

I don't deal with much snow here so I can't comment much on their snow preformance but I will say that I ran those POS Yokahama Geolanders for waaaayyy too long. I found them to be terrible tires in the rain, they were very unstable on the hwy, and no matter what I did they wouldn't stay balanced. I didn't fully realize what a terrible tire they were till I'd finally had enough and got rid of them when they were only half worn out. I got Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos and I love my Jeep again. They are excellent in everything--but I can't comment on their snow traction since I havent driven them in the snow yet. I hear they're good though but the BFGs are probably better.

Sorry to get a little off subject I just don't want anyone to suffer through the Geolanders like I did.

I run BFG at ko,s....... wheeled in the VA mountains..20 inches of snow.
I wouldn't pick any other tire for snow. Plus they wear like iron.

I'd take any AT tire over any MT any day. With snow and ice there is no subsititute for the right speed for the conditions and awareness of the situation, that alone is worth a set of good tires

On the couple of seep snow runs I was on last year, the guys on TRXUS MTs were all but unstoppable.
I rode with one of the guys on an icy road, and it was better than any MT I have ever experienced.
My .02.

Back