• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes Pull to the left/ Driveline Vibration

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I just picked up a 96 Sport 5speed w/ 77k on it last week. It runs great, but the brakes pull to the left most of the time and I also notice a slight squeak intermittently coming from the left front wheel when warm that goes away when the brake pedal is touched. Is the caliper bad? Possible wheal bearing? The pads have a lot of meat on them and brakes do not pulse so I assume less than 10k miles since replacement.

I also have a bit of driveline vibration when cruising over 55 on the highway. It only seems to occur when I am on the gas. Would this be related to a poorly lubricated slip yoke?

i had this happen a few weeks ago. the brakes were pulling really hard left, and i got some of that wonderful burning brake smell...mmm-mmm. well, turned out that my RIGHT front caliper and brake hose were shot. I replaced those two things and it been great since then. You may want to check those things out...HTH.
Jeff

Another thought might be to get the brake system flushed really good.

On my '92, I used to have that problem as well, and in addition, dirt built up in the MC and wheel cylinders was defeating the rear drums' self-adjusters (cyls would stick, and then work on the second press of the pedal.

After a good flushing, pedal feel is better, and I don't think I have any pull any more. I think this will become something I will do every other year or so.

The guy at the GM dealer I went to (part of the complex where my usual Jeep dealer is, and the Jeep guy set everything up) said that this isn't uncommon on older vehicles, or high-mileage ones.

I don't know if I can help on the vibration, other than to suggest you give your driveshaft ujoints a good looking-over.

Just a thought,

Rob

Driveline Vibration

I have a similar vibe at around 110km (very close to 55mph) that occurs only under load. Sometimes when you tap the gas while coasting at said speed, you will get a flutter as well. I'm thinking my ujoints may be stiff (eventhough the dealer said they are fine. BTW, brought to dealer because I have extended drivetrain warranty). I raised the rear by about 1" when I added a new leaf and the problem has been there since. I'm going to pull the shaft and replace the ujoints very soon.

I look forward to anyone input on this matter.

Sean

Well if it is at highway speeds, then I would say you have a faulty caliper. Using both feet, press on the brake and keep the gas going. If you have a bad or noticable pulsation then it's your caliper not extending properly or it's not extending at all. Check the caliper for worn hoses, etc. Most likely, your caliper is going. Check your rotors and pads for glazing and what not. Hope this helps.

I certainly a rookie and would need to take to a shop for a look, but could I inspect/lubriate the calipers myself to see if this would fix. Just cam back from a ride and it seems like the left front is grabbing too tight and the squeaking noise was there the whole time unless i tapped the brake and it would go away.

Back