• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater fan only blows on high

WesternXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and came up empty.

I replaced the fan switch and blower motor. After reading the wiring schematic it shows a "resistor block", anyone have any idea where it's located? Any other ideas? TIA

Don't know the year of your XJ but if it's like mine, you'll find that blower motor resistor up under the dash on the passenger side footwell. Two screws hold it in and there will be a two prong plug hooked up to it. You'll see it once you just get down and look at it. I replaced mine with one I got out of a yard on a lower mileage XJ but I can't imagine they'd be much new.

Ace is right about where to find the resistor block. The problem is not likely the resistors but the thermal fuse that is inline with it. It's the thing that looks like a bullet with a red tip and it is easily diagnosed and replaced if needed for less than $5. Take a multimeter and measure the resistance across the terminals of the thermal fuse. If it's a dead short, then the fuse is ok but if you get an infinite reading then the fuse needs replacement and it's off to Radio Shack.
J.R.

Check to see if all the spade connectors (there were 4 of them on mine) are engaged in the female end of the connector on the HVAC housing under the dash. When I replaced mine, I accidentally bent one of the spades down slightly so it didn't "connect" and only had one blower speed. They are pretty thin and flat....easy to bend one.
HTH,
Jeff

I replaced my fuse and got all speeds back when I tested it. a week later after a 4 hour drive and with everything hot under the dash, I turned on the fan and only had 1 speed again..... Ideas? I'm thinking it has to do with my fan motor bearing going out... i'll have to check the prongs again too... thanks for bringing this back up Sactoxj!

Back