• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front locker or Truetrac (Torsen)

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'll be installing my manual hub kit this weekend, and I thought it'd be a good time IF I WAS going to upgrade the front TAD. I got a great deal on a Lockrite for the front to replace the Torsen I have now. The Torsen's never let me down on the trail. (Moab and Colorado-tested!), but I thought that with manual hubs, a locker would be the way to go. I've also read that a Lockrite/standard carrier is slightly stronger than a Turetrac or Torsen for 33s. I DO have to deal with some snow in the winter. I've read that a front Lockrite can be tricky in the snow. My Torsen's not bad at all in the white stuff.
Swap carriers and install the Lockrite while I have it apart, or stay with the Torsen-Gleason for the front?
Opinions...?

Last edited:
I've been thinking the same thing. I've got a Detroit rear, & a True Trac in front. I feel the same way, that my True-Trac has never let me down. I think in some ways, it's better for longevity to the front end components, because it will give, before breaking something, especially @ full turn of the wheel. I feel that on the trails I've run, I've done just fine w/ it, & spending about $500 on the Detroit/'bearings,oil & shims can wait. But if it ever does lets me down, I'll put a full Detroit in it, as I already put the 2low kit in. Running BFG KM's 32 x11.5 $.02

Rob

Last edited:
ChuckD said:
Why mess with it if your happy? Is your LS keeping you from a trail that you want to conquer? As far as upgrading to a locker, just get a manual one and do it right. I have nothing against LB Lockers, I have one, but you mentioned snow conditions. With a manual locker you can turn it of and still have 4WD.
I could also unlock one hub and do the same thing, right? ;)

ChuckD said:
No, you may have three wheel drive, but not true 4WD. :confused1
Wait a minute... :wierd:
With an open diff, you don't have "true" 4WD anyway. (correct?)

BillR said:
Wait a minute... :wierd:
With an open diff, you don't have "true" 4WD anyway. (correct?)

You know what I was getting at. Well all I have to say is when are you going to post your D30 forsale? The rate your going you'll be throwing a HP D44 or something else up front. Oh wait you sold a HP D44, I think you are NUTS! But in a good way. :D

Back