• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Tranny ID

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I got an 88 plain jane cherokee with a 5 speed manual. Trying to identify what tranny i have. Ive found a few details that might help ID it

First The Drain Plug In Facing the Rear
Theres a ID plate on the passenger side next to the Fill Plug
( Cant read the plate )

Im thinking its BA-10 what do guys say is there anything else i can look for to ID it

TORX

An 88 with a 5-spd is probably the BA-10 (a Puegeot**), but it would help to know which engine you have - the 4.0 6-cyl or the 2.5 4-cyl - to be sure. I know the 4.0 had a 5-spd, but some of the 4-cyl models early on had 4-spd manuals, and I don't know when they went to 5-spds.

If you had something newer than an 88, I'd suggest going to a local dealer and having the VIN number run through the computer to produce a build sheet, but Chrysler doesn't seem to support the AMC-era models.

A few people have reported finding build sheets tucked inside their driver's doors - apparently placed there in the factory. If you're brave enough, you could try peeking behind the door panel and seeing if it's still in there.

Lastly, if you can't read the plate, you could try using a piece of tracing paper and a wide pencil to make a rubbing of the plate, but that assumes that the letters and numbers are either pressed or engraved into it. I'm guessing that you already cleaned it?

HTH,

Rob

** How do you spell Puegeot? Did I get it right?

Rob, I have the 4.0L with the 5 speed manual. I was considering calling the dealer an running the vin through there computer but thought i would try here first. I did clean the plate even tryed taking it off but its riveted on there. I'll give the tracing a try! If it helps any I have the NP231 T-Case

Thanks TORX

TORX said:
Rob, I have the 4.0L with the 5 speed manual. I was considering calling the dealer an running the vin through there computer but thought i would try here first. I did clean the plate even tryed taking it off but its riveted on there. I'll give the tracing a try! If it helps any I have the NP231 T-Case

Thanks TORX
I think it will be the peugoat

Unless it's been changed by previous owner, it's the Peugeot BA-10/5. The case splits in left-right halves.

Peugeot, Peugot, Pukegoat, pukegut...what else? Trying to make this one a univesally-searchable thread for that nasty tranny.

Back