• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Redbird SRA in Indiana

Bounty Hunter

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody else been to this offroad park? www.redbirdsra.com

We just went, great time. It's only about 20 miles south of Terre Haute. This park is used very little, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if IN DNR shut it down for lack of revenue. They've put a lot of money into it, and I'm sure it has to at least break even. Only $10 a day.

We were there on a saturday, and only 7 vehicles and 1 ATV were using the park. Gate Attendant thought it was a busy day.
www.sija.org/ncl/redbird082804
www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=495005595105&photoid=295005595105
DSCN0077.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

How about more detail about the park?...the types of terrain , size of park and so on. Wouldn't mine checking somewhere-else new....

I think they used to call that place Dugger.....Is it a strip mine?????we used top go there along time ago when we were kids, before it was "legal"...

how is this place compared to BadLands? anybody? anybody?

I've not been to Redbird ... so I can't say for sure ... but I cannot recall seeing any pics of anyone crawling over rocks. Most pics I've seen show only mud ... :(

I guess well will find out ... unless someone posts that's been there.

Les

there were some stone face areas i remember, but I never seen anyone try to climb them, but it has been many years since I have been there....But I would go back, I have good memories of it at least, so it must be OK

Redbird doesn't have many rocks, if any. I was there on the 7th of June, and was the only vehicle in the park. The park attendents were very helpful, but had a limited knowledge of the time to run and difficulty of the trails. A friend of theirs (basiclly stock CJ5) showed up later on and went down trail 4 with us, we had to winch him alot, ok a more than a lot. If it is wet you will definitly need at least one locker and a winch. Our XJ is up 6"'s on two D44's loaded with 4:10's an ARB & a Detroit, rides 33 x 10.5 BFG MT's, and is recovered by a Warn M8000. I had a fun time and really had to us the jeep to get through most of it. They were tight in spots, and seemed to be muddy at the same locations. Trail 4 has a small lake you have to traverse, you could see a lot of tracks in, and only a couple get through to the other side. I was in Terre Haute on a business trip and only had a limited time to wheel, but the two trails we ran (trail 1-2 & 4-8) proved to be a challange. Redbird is a nice clean park, with 8 or 10 trails. I would say due to the number of trails and the quality of the landscape, Redbird is a viable and good alternitive to the Badlands, less crowded, cheaper, and cleaner. Definitly want to go back sometime, but with the new 90XJ in process, money's kinda tight.

Not many rocks at Redbird, just tight off-camber dirt trails and mud, with some really fun hill climbs. Most all the mud holes have solid bottoms. It was a little wet when we were there, 3 out of the 4 in our group were locked in both ends and didn't have much trouble. The one TJ with 1 locker had to be winched up a hill.

Trail 2 skirts a lake that has some deep spots, be careful.

Back