• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Tranny 4wheelin?

95XJ_WheelinAK

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a stock 95XJ (obviously) and am planning on giving it the works...The only thing thats holding me back is the fact that it's an automatic transmission. I'll mostly be wheelin in mud, i won't do any rock crawling, but maybe some good trails. i'm lookin at goin 6-8" and runnin 35s. Is it worth it to lift and 4wheel an auto tranny? Or should i just sell it and buy an older starndard XJ?? thanks for your input

so you think its worth it to go ahead and lift it? if i lived in Utah i'm sure i'd be doin a lot of crawlin...but since i'm in AK and we dont have very many rock trails....its all about the boggin....and how it looks when i'm rollin through the streets, eh?

jeeper821 said:
in the mud with an auto tranny you don't lose momentum between gear shifts as you would with a standard.
yeah ..but ya do build HEAT....if your not worried about that,then an auto would work great if you did the 1-2 lockout conversion and routed the vent high...

Put a good tranny cooler on it, maybe even two of them with the second one in a mud-protected location.

Then extend the vent line and take it mudding.

That tranny willl hold up to a small block chevy if you aren't stupid about how you drive it.

Wheel in the mud with an auto trans? Is this for real?

How many late model full size trucks do you see with a manual trans? Virtually none if it's not a diesel, and the majority of diesels are also automatics. Lots and lots of full sizes run in the mud.

Stick or auto is totally a personal preference..........not a capability issue, except in a very limited number of circumstances. Why is it that so many people switch from sticks to autos in their trail rigs, but very few switch from autos to sticks? I'm not aware of any circumstance that a stick works better for wheeling than an auto does, including mud or sand.

It's all personal preference...........run what you have. :)

I've noticed sometimes that with my AW4 that if I really am getting on it on a loose surface that it will over rev a little bit. Its been as high as 5500 RPMS one time before I noticed and let off the gas. It normally shifts flawlessly. Is that the reason you are referring too? Maybe its the autos heating up too much or maybe them not taking kindly too deep water if not properly modified? IMO, it would be much easier to over rev a manual than an auto, the only time I've ever over revved my AW4 is when i was being stupid and playing.

wheeled auto and stick and I will tell you I love the auto on trails. If you stop goin up hill, getting started again isn't a scary thought. I'd imagine in mud it'd be nice too, allow you to just focus on the mud and keeping your momentum up rather than making sure you're in the right gear. Although I do miss driving a stick every now and then on the road.

i love a standard just a spersonal preference.. but never once have i cussed my auto and said i wished i had a standard.. but with a standard i did say the opposite a few times.. its all preference and individual set-up....

Is this what you mean by mud and an auto.
sinking.JPG

With my 31's my axles bottom out in allot of ruts around florida, but i've never had anything break or mess up from mud or water intrusion except the electric door locks.

Atl XJ said:
I've noticed sometimes that with my AW4 that if I really am getting on it on a loose surface that it will over rev a little bit. Its been as high as 5500 RPMS one time before I noticed and let off the gas. It normally shifts flawlessly. Is that the reason you are referring too? Maybe its the autos heating up too much or maybe them not taking kindly too deep water if not properly modified? IMO, it would be much easier to over rev a manual than an auto, the only time I've ever over revved my AW4 is when i was being stupid and playing.

What's an AW4 supposed to shift at mine's always been 4500 with the switch in comfort 5500 with it in power, at WOT of course. That's the '91, the '89 is quite a bit lower but I'm not certain how much.

Tony

Back