• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless

Cliff

NAXJA Forum User
ok my key fob died for good, its a 96. Has anyone converted one of these systoms to a normal remote not the stupid infared?

I've done it it's easy and you can put the new system in the same place as the old IR sensor. It's really simple because all the wirex you need to connect to are already plugged in that sensor, disconnect it and hook the new one up

Okay, could someone give some more details on this please. Like what all is involved and what the difference is on the two systems other than better range for the remotes. Also, my '95 uses the same keyless remote as the '96s, (my remote actually came off a '96) so this would work on a '95?
TIA :D

Atl XJ said:
Okay, could someone give some more details on this please. Like what all is involved and what the difference is on the two systems other than better range for the remotes. Also, my '95 uses the same keyless remote as the '96s, (my remote actually came off a '96) so this would work on a '95?
TIA :D

I would also be interested in this upgrade. The IR remote gets really old on sunny days.

Your IR remote should work on both Jeeps. You just need to program it:

1. Put key in ign. Leave in off.
2. Open driver door, leave open throughout.
3. Manually push door lock button to "lock" position, not using electric
door locks, just manually push lock button.
4. Turn ign to "run" position.
5. Within 20 seconds, hold lock button on remote till remote LED flashes
twice and electric door locks cycle on /off.
6. Repeat 3.-5. for additional remotes
7. Turn ign key to "off" position within 20 seconds.

fizassist said:
I would also be interested in this upgrade. The IR remote gets really old on sunny days.

Your IR remote should work on both Jeeps. You just need to program it:

1. Put key in ign. Leave in off.
2. Open driver door, leave open throughout.
3. Manually push door lock button to "lock" position, not using electric
door locks, just manually push lock button.
4. Turn ign to "run" position.
5. Within 20 seconds, hold lock button on remote till remote LED flashes
twice and electric door locks cycle on /off.
6. Repeat 3.-5. for additional remotes
7. Turn ign key to "off" position within 20 seconds.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my post, I meant would this upgrade work on a '95 vs the '96 previously mentioned. BUT, thats good info to have in case I need to reprogram it again. The dealer did it for me free of charge last time.

I'm also interested as mine came from the factory w/ keyless but somewhere along the way the previous owner lost the remote. It'd be handy to have with a baby on the way...:D

Atl XJ said:
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my post, I meant would this upgrade work on a '95 vs the '96 previously mentioned. BUT, thats good info to have in case I need to reprogram it again. The dealer did it for me free of charge last time.

Whoops; I see that now that I reread your post.

I'm still interested in this RF upgrade. :D

Ok well I can't find exactly which one i bought but but the manufacturer's website is here: www.icdynamics.com . I bought the simple one that has two remotes with 3 buttons each on them. I found the system on jcwhitney for 29.99.

Installation was extremely simple and took about 10 minutes. With those clamp on wire taps you can put the harness in in about 10 minutes. All you need to do is hook up about 4 wires. The harness has about 12 on there but I think it's for universal use( I just cut off all the ones that I didn't use). All the wires that you need to tap into are convieniently located either behind the drivers window contol switches or even more convinienty located in the overhead stock IR receiving receiver dealy. If your IR is already notworking and you don't care about it you cna even make it easier.

What I did was disconnect receiver from the jeep harness through convient connection. After that I cut the old receiver from the connector but left as much of the wires on the connector as possible. NOW YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO TAP INTO THE WIRES STILL ON THE JEEP!!!!!!!! Ok now connect up you new system to this connector(all the wires you need are there). Then I took the circuit board of the new receiver out of it's enclosure and just slid it back in the same place as the old one. Now you just put the two connectors together. As for the antenna I fed it forward throught the headliner and made it kinda hang down from the headliner to the mirror(the thin wire is barely even noticable).

Like I said took about 10 minutes, best 30 bucks I ever spent.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

is the IR receiver you're talking about that weird lookin little thing stuck the ceiling with a big black nipple type thing on it? Cuz if so, I've been wondering what that is since I got the thing

Yeah take that thing off your ceilling and if it still works you can maybe sell it on ebay.

My system looks like the one in the link above on jcwhitney but the remotes are shaped a little different and it came with two of them.

jblaze5779 said:
Ok well I can't find exactly which one i bought but but the manufacturer's website is here: www.icdynamics.com . I bought the simple one that has two remotes with 3 buttons each on them. I found the system on jcwhitney for 29.99.

Installation was extremely simple and took about 10 minutes. With those clamp on wire taps you can put the harness in in about 10 minutes. All you need to do is hook up about 4 wires. The harness has about 12 on there but I think it's for universal use( I just cut off all the ones that I didn't use). All the wires that you need to tap into are convieniently located either behind the drivers window contol switches or even more convinienty located in the overhead stock IR receiving receiver dealy. If your IR is already notworking and you don't care about it you cna even make it easier.

What I did was disconnect receiver from the jeep harness through convient connection. After that I cut the old receiver from the connector but left as much of the wires on the connector as possible. NOW YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO TAP INTO THE WIRES STILL ON THE JEEP!!!!!!!! Ok now connect up you new system to this connector(all the wires you need are there). Then I took the circuit board of the new receiver out of it's enclosure and just slid it back in the same place as the old one. Now you just put the two connectors together. As for the antenna I fed it forward throught the headliner and made it kinda hang down from the headliner to the mirror(the thin wire is barely even noticable).

Like I said took about 10 minutes, best 30 bucks I ever spent.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

I just bought my 95 XJ and am having problems getting my remote to work. Tried reprograming it every way I can find and no luck.

I saw this post and I am interested in the conversion but I also have a question. When I looked at the new system in JZ Whitney I am wondering where this module is in the XJ? I would like to trouble shoot what I have first before I swap out for the new system.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting this would be great

thanks

Back