• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uh t-case swap idea.

CW

NAXJA Forum User
It just occured to me that the 79' f-150 I pulled my axles out of had a t-case that already had an sye and is drivers side drop, thus I don't need to worry about a flip. I am 100 miles away from the donor truck so I can't look at it so I don't know what t-case it is. Could it be an np205? Is this a good swap? And finaly what needs to be done to bolt it up.

Any body have any ideas what the t-case is? It's a '79 ford with a manual tranny, I think a five speed. it has a fixed yoke. The motor is a 289 but I think that wasn't an option so it was a swap.

CW said:
Any body have any ideas what the t-case is? It's a '79 ford with a manual tranny, I think a five speed. it has a fixed yoke. The motor is a 289 but I think that wasn't an option so it was a swap.

I think that ford did have the 205 in the 79's, but I also think that the tcase has a shitty low crawl ratio.

just my 2 cents.

I think it would be a 205 as well, but not sure.....if it is, its a big friggin tcase, cast iron case gear driven....its very strong, but only a 1.96 low range and it won't bolt up to your tranny....I'm not sure if they even make an adapter for it, who knows?

I think you'd be better off with a np208 out of a '80 and up fsj....not all of them had them, so you gotta check, but it will bolt up to a aw4 that has the 23 spline output, its stronger than a stock 231, and has beefy 32spline fixed yoke in the rear, I think it is larger than a 231, but shouldn't be too much trouble to fit....I can't remember what the low range is at 1:45 am, but I know its in the 2.xx range.

Justin

I believe JB conversions is working on a Lo-max kit for the NP205. The NP205 is a pretty cool T-case if you don't mind a 125 pound monster. When all said and done certain year models of the NP205 have 32 spline outputs front and rear and you can get several different sized yokes from 1310 up. Problem is that the NP205 is kinda long in a relative sense. Yes it is gear driven but it is a monster. You can see pics of how big the gears actually are on JB's website; after they are done the 3:1 Lo:max for it, the gears are bigger and beefier than an Atlas2. While it only has a marginal low range output from stock, it is a very strong Tcase. Cruise around the fullsize forums, as I know these were also put in some Chevy's and spank me if'm wrong but maybe dodges for a short time. You'll prob end up having to get an adapter from current tranny to the NP205 because it's a 31 spline input I believe. I positive that years for Fords are around 74 (+/- a year) to 79. Typically you can find the 32 spline front output with 1310's in 1/2 ton applications and I believe 1330's to 1350's in 3/4 and 1 ton flavor. Give me some time and I can dig up a really good site on them.
oops I forgot so I got to edit this. You can run dual Tcases with the NP205 and the NP203, I believe novak sells the adapter for this, it's a alternative to going with a Lomax kit for it. But then again you are gonna need some driveshaft length or extended rear axle or somekinda solution. I got the NP435 and NP205 in my wrangler ( it measures 29 inches or so from tranny back to output of the 205; 10.5 being tranny and rest being tcase)
hmm I think that does it for me, first tech post in say...6/7 months

Last edited:
Would it be easier to just swap the tranny and the t-case from the ford to the xj. The ford has a five speed so replacing my ax-15 shouldn't be that difficult, unless the new tranny is too big. I can't see losing any strength. I think I read somewhere that a ford small block has the same bell housing pattern as the amc I6's.

Back