• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-gear shop cost

john mitchell said:
what would a fair price to pay a shop to re-gear a front d30 in an xj?

in or out of the vehicle?

I'll bet you can save a shitload of money if you can give your installer an axle they can bench without having to mess with the unrelated parts.

if thats something you can get away with, I wouldn't expect that you should pay more than 150-200 bucks....labor-only of course.

around the boston area your looking at $500 on the bench at least thats what i found.

I took our local shop just the housing with the old gears still installed and the new gears w/ install kits and they charged $140. As Beezil said, had they had to take the old axles out and remove the brakes, it would have cost much more. Oh, and I sold the old gears for $25...

Around Colorado Springs, the axle on vehicle install ranges from about $320-400 for the D30. That is much more then I want to pay. If I had a second vehicle, I'd pull the shafts and brakes like Capt. Nemo did, and give them the rest.

where are you in kentucky. If anywhere near louisville i can do it for you for a good price. Let me know.

Free in Milwaukee.
Read up, print off some pic and tips, borrow some tools, and get to work.
HTH.

Last edited:
Back