• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan off and now confused???

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
ok I took the oil pan off to better seal it because of a leak......did rear main and such....now the metal pice at the back of the pan I can't remember where that goes? on the bottom of the pan? inside part of the pan? I'm confused??

it's a metal half circle with two little humps on the bottom. it seems to fin the contour of the bottom outside of the pan, it just doesn't look like it serves any purpose there and if it were to go on the inside it looks like because of the little humps it wouldn't seal right.

There's no mention of it in my ('01) FSM either.
Due to the difference in diameters, it should only fit either inside or outside the pan. You're probably right about the bumps. My guess is outside. Any holes for bolts?

yeah there are hole for blots on each side, it just doesn't make much cense why it would be there for no apparent reason? I checked the service manual and I don't see it there either.

Okay, that half circle thing goes on AFTER the pan is installed or at least it did on my 88 XJ 4.0 when I changed the pan gasket. The strap helps support the gasket and prevent leaks. If you do not install that will be the only partion not supported by a full metal lip and may have a leak.

If I recall the piece can go on two ways, put it on the way that looks like it supports the gasket best.

Make sure you use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts, it makes life much easier. I also took the advice of my mechanic and used some RTV to glue the gasket in place on the block. Use enough RTV to hold it in place, RTV not needed to seal the gasket. Install all the bolts and let it set up for a couple of hours. Then remove all the bolts - don't leave one in like I did - and then install your pan. You will need some RTV to fill in the timing chain cover holes, it told me that on instructions.

Yes, do install the bracket AFTER the pan is in place.

Back