• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternate leaf spring donors

raceready

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here it is.
Any dodge van from 79-97 will work in an XJ,

The distance from the center pin to front eye bushing is 23 inches, which is exactly the same as the stock cherokee. The rear half ot the dodge spring is between 30.5 and 31 inches pin to eye. (some 1 tons are 30.5 and 30.75)

the cherokee is 28 5/8 pin to eye in the rear.

you will need to use a boomerang shackle (i used a stock 1/2 ton chev truck shackle) to clear the rear of the body.

the older vans use a round eye in the front, and the newer models use an oval bushing, mine are the oval ones and I think it may help the spring flex, but this is just my opinion.

I think you will be able to get at least 6in out of these springs with creative leaf swapping, and still maintain a good shackle angle. (which was a problem with the stock main leaf at around 5-6 inches--I had only about .25 inch downtravel at static height :( )

Haven't seen much said about these springs, so I hopefully I am providing a fresh source for people.

Good luck..
Joel

Sounds like you may be onto something here...

-Give us some detail on how creative you got swapping... let's hear what you ended up with?

-Lets see some pics of how you got it to flex!

Back