• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone here did the 2" budget boost?

mike(nj)

NAXJA Forum User
If so, how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting rusty's kit with the AAL. I also just bought new rancho rs5000 shocks.....can I still use these with the lift? I really don't want to buy more shocks.....

The Ranch web site will tell you how much lift is compatible with your shock length. Did you already install the 5000s? They are horribly stiff on small bumps around town.

Yeah, i've had them on about 4 months........I didn't notice any difference from stock shock to the 5000's.

I found the link about your wife's jeep........you said that you didn't add new shocks, was there and problems there with the stockers? Thats the one thing holding me back from buying Rusty's AAL kit. Thanks!

I've got the rusty's Shackle BB, and I'm pleased with it, I now have the urge to go taller... but since I got the shackle lift I can make a 3" kit 4 3/4" by keeping the BB on there. I've heard that the AAL cause a slightly rougher ride, but I don't know. I will say that with the shackles, the rear of my XJ (99) is sagging a bit and I'm going to put a 1/2" block in to bring it back up. As for the specific directions on how to do, I went to rusty's website and the how to section, or tech section or something like that.
Any questions let me know.

Her's had the up country on it and I believe the stock shock were a little longer. Anyway it was no problem. I used the AAL on mine and did get the shocks too.

According to an engineer for Monroe/Rancho, stock shocks are good for up to a 2" lift. Beyond that you need longer shocks.

I'm running stock on mine.

Thanks guys!

I went ahead and ordered the AAL from Rusty's.......it was on sale too for $90. I post back on how everything works out.

The box for the lift came today:) but when I opened it, there was no front spacers just the AAL's :mad: I guess i'll be calling them in the morning........

Called Rusty's the day after and they are going to send new spacers:) .........I went ahead and installed the AAL's yesterday. What a piece of cake! I wire brushed everything, put the AAL in the middle of the pack, took out the rear swaybar and I was done.

When I was putting them in I found one of the bump stops hanging by a thread. I wonder if its from when I was towing a car trailer with an s10 on the back???:D A few of the plastic parts on the leafs were broken too. Do I need to get them from jeep?

As for the ride, it feels better than before even though its all jacked up in the rear. I can't wait to install the front spacers!

Are 30" tires the biggest I can go? I want to keep the stock alum. rims and have NO rubbing at all. Thanks

Even with 30s you will have rubbing against the lower control arms at full steering lock -- but that's not something that more lift will control, that's addressed by shimming the steering stops.

If you extend the bump stops you can run 31s, but it's probably not worth it. It's really kind of a squeeze, and you only gain a half inch of ground clearance. Budget boost and 30s is a good combination, IMHO.

With 30s on stock rims I had rubbing on the area just above the coil spring when disconnected and flexed up. Also the LCAs as stated by Eagle.

Well, finished the lift today:) Everything went smooth and I didn't even use a coil spring compressor. I did bust one of the swaybar bolts though.

For those that have done this kit, did your front end still seam low? I was thinking of putting the stock rubber spacer back in with rusty's. Anyone do this?

I just posted a pic in the picture showcase area if anyone wants to see how it came out.

Last edited:
By your saying the front is seems low, I'm assuming that you used the Add - a - Leaf. If so then I've been told to give it a couple months to settle and the rear will come down some. So I would wait to do anything to the front.

JnJ said:
I kept the stock isolator with the spacer.

I didn't keep the isolator on mine, I went with the shackle BB and it started out level, but then sagged in the rear due to the extra stress on the leaf springs.

Back