• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Trans won't unlock.....

gptherezonlyone

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 automatic and when I release the accelorator it acts like a five speed, ie. it won't release and the engine slows my jeep down. Anybody have this one before...............

I don't think what is happening is supposed to happen. Most of the time when driving between 45 and 65 it will almost freewheel when the gas is released in an automatic sort of way and then, rarely but three times today it will feel like a five speed and I shut the key off and then when I try to accel it is like I have my foot on the gas and I turned the key back on......... I am thinking another TPS or that the humidity here today is just not doing the PCM any good today

No-

Is NOT supposed to work that way. It is supposed to freewheel. If you will notice, normally when the gas is applied after coasting you will feel that small 200-300 rpm shift shortly afterward...every time. The only thing i believe that could involve this would be the TPS. Cannot think of anything else that would sense the the gas pedal. The brake has the switch for this purpose. Keep us informed. Have not thought of this problem before.

I thought I might have had a problem when mine was dropping to 750-1500 (give or take) when I let off the gas at highway speed. So this is normal?

Re: No-

Judd W. VA said:
Is NOT supposed to work that way. It is supposed to freewheel. If you will notice, normally when the gas is applied after coasting you will feel that small 200-300 rpm shift shortly afterward...every time. The only thing i believe that could involve this would be the TPS. Cannot think of anything else that would sense the the gas pedal. The brake has the switch for this purpose. Keep us informed. Have not thought of this problem before.

Yep TPS

Mine was doing the same thing, but after adjusting the tv cable, it seemed to shift better/easier ..........and freewheel easier.

Back