• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7 quarts in a 4.0L

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I went and looked at a 1996 Cherokee Country. It only has 63k miles, and is in excellent condition. The thing looks new. Runs and drives fine.

One thing I did notice was that the oil was about a quart over full. The oil was last changed about 300 miles ago, and has been over full ever since.

There is also a minor oil leak around the oil filter.

Will/did the extra oil damage anything? I am about to buy this Jeep, and want to make sure it is still OK.

Thanks

Sounds like someone did an oil change and added 6 qts. without changing out the oil filter. Also sounds like the oil filter adapter o-rings need replacing.

I don't think that the extra oil will harm anything. I know there's a term to describe when a crankshaft has to churn through an overfilled oil pan. Can't think of it though. Anyway, I don't think a quart will hurt. I could be wrong (I often am).

Yes, sounds like you need to head to the dealer and buy the o-ring set for the oil filter mount. There a write up on madxj.com which has good pictures, believe it under 'engine" and then "larger oil filter."

If you overfill the crankcase the oil lever can be so high the the crankshaft will whip it up like whipped cream. I believe they call it frothing, like on a cup of starbucks coffee. I'd pull the drain plug and put in the right amount of oil. Just drain the oil, remove the oil filter, fill with 6 quarts of your favorite brand of motor oil and install a new oil filter.

It is generally a good preactice to change the engine oil, trans fluid, differential fluid and transfercase fluid. I'd also install a new fan belt and change the coolant. Get out the owner's manual, make sure they leave it in the glove box, and read over the maintenance that is supose to be done. I then would do the 30,000 & 50,000 Maintenance in addition to what I listed. Once you do that you should be fine.

martin said:
Yes, sounds like you need to head to the dealer and buy the o-ring set for the oil filter mount. There a write up on madxj.com which has good pictures, believe it under 'engine" and then "larger oil filter."

If you overfill the crankcase the oil lever can be so high the the crankshaft will whip it up like whipped cream. I believe they call it frothing, like on a cup of starbucks coffee. I'd pull the drain plug and put in the right amount of oil. Just drain the oil, remove the oil filter, fill with 6 quarts of your favorite brand of motor oil and install a new oil filter.

It is generally a good preactice to change the engine oil, trans fluid, differential fluid and transfercase fluid. I'd also install a new fan belt and change the coolant. Get out the owner's manual, make sure they leave it in the glove box, and read over the maintenance that is supose to be done. I then would do the 30,000 & 50,000 Maintenance in addition to what I listed. Once you do that you should be fine.

Yes I plan to replace all fluids in the vehicle. I just wanted to know if any immediate damage would be/has been done by the extra oil.

When I pick it up, I'm going to head straight to that Jiffy Lube and make them give me a free oil change. I'll be standing over their shoulder as they do it, so I'll make damn sure they change that filter. Even so, you would think they would at least check the oil level before sending the car out. I'll change the oil and filter once again when I return home (3 hour drive).

I read once on Cartalk that you can put in up to a quart extra before it causes any problems. I'd still address the situtation though to be on the safe side.

Back