• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Driver's side passenger door handle

evilpresence

NAXJA Member #983
It stopped working so I opened it up. Anyone have the diagram of how it should look, the door handle for a 1999? I have an incomplete 2000 XJ FSM and it doesn't have the information in it.

Coincidentally, I just fixed my right rear door since it wouldn't open. What you need to do is take off the handle from the inside. That way it will give you access to the mechanism inside, which will allow you to push a small lever upwards which will open up your door. Once you do that, you'll need to buy a new assembly including a new handle and inner latch. I fixed mine with some creative duct tape, but it's only a temporary fix.

xjj33p3r said:
Coincidentally, I just fixed my right rear door since it wouldn't open. What you need to do is take off the handle from the inside. That way it will give you access to the mechanism inside, which will allow you to push a small lever upwards which will open up your door. Once you do that, you'll need to buy a new assembly including a new handle and inner latch. I fixed mine with some creative duct tape, but it's only a temporary fix.

My Drivers side rear door handle "thumb button" fell all the way out of sight. I think I heard it hit inside the bottom of the door.

I hate when that happens... :smsoap:

I took my door handle off about 40 seconds after I wrote this.

The "thumb button" has a sprung-over bar that goes inside a piece of plastic (which is centered inside a piece of metal) that pushes against another piece of metal. The piece of metal (with the plastic) is attached to the inside of the door handle with a screw on one end and a slot on the other end. My screw was in the bottom of my door and the sprung-over bar was out of the plastic. Took about 25 minutes to fix.

Sounds easy.. I guess my friend broke mine the other night getting beer out of the back seat, i didnt realize it til today when i went to go open it. Looks like some one is buying me a new handle assy.

Back