• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello??????????????????????

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
It seem real slow here lately, what's up, it seems that since the new format change things have slowed down ALOT.

Anyone else notice? please don't let this place die, I just renewed for 4 years.

<grin> Thread hijack! And this IS non-tech.

If'n I remember right, yer the perfesshunal fortygraffer, right?

One of the guys I work with is considering setting up a sideline business scanning slides and negatives for (fun and) profit. He's been hearing $1/slide and thinks he can do it significantly cheaper. Any thoughts? (other than the obligatory RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!)

And a side note: he's got some 35mm slides (cardboard mounts) that have spent a bunch of time in the Virgin Islands humidity. They've molded, and have some spots on the film How should these be cleaned? I was thinking new mounts and a little distilled water.

ChiXJeff

maybe my computer is marking post read w/o me reading 'em, I'll surf in every couple days and there seems to only be a dozen new post or so in those couple days.

dunno

Fore Wheeler said:
maybe my computer is marking post read w/o me reading 'em, I'll surf in every couple days and there seems to only be a dozen new post or so in those couple days.

dunno

I've been having that problem. Forum Help Desk seems to think it may be due to corrupted cookies, but it happens using either Netscape or IE, and they maintain separate sets of cookies in different folders, so I don't think so. I think the new software is flakey, but of course Beezil says that's just because I resist change :D

In any event, you are not alone, it is a problem, and you'll just have to check the times on the last posts (right column of index) to try to figure out if they've been posted since your last visit.

Speaking of slowing down.......

Fore Wheeler! you have not been posting much! So post some more! On the slide scanning thing! Run, Run far away! unless you have an automated scanner you will spend hours scanning slides. As for the dirty slides that is a tough one! I would check into some of your local profesional labs. Aren't you in Chicago? If so there are a few great labs in the windy city!

Eagle said:
I've been having that problem. Forum Help Desk seems to think it may be due to corrupted cookies, but it happens using either Netscape or IE, and they maintain separate sets of cookies in different folders, so I don't think so. I think the new software is flakey, but of course Beezil says that's just because I resist change :D

In any event, you are not alone, it is a problem, and you'll just have to check the times on the last posts (right column of index) to try to figure out if they've been posted since your last visit.

Well that blows! I guess that I have to get one of my computer geek friends to take a look at it, I'm computer stupid.

Jeff- Tell yoru buddy that he needs to get a real slide scanner. I agree with Ghost that it's a time consuming process, but as he gets more and more used to it it will go much quicker.

Anyway, the "Slide scanner" attachments on scanners is rather hokey, slide scanners cost some bucks, but you can get a damn good scan from a slide / negative with them, it's what the pros do.

Two words - Batch processing, that's all he needs to do, set up something to automate the process, all that he'd have to do is actually do the physical work of chaning the slides out and making it work, that's if he's not doing touching up, if he is touching up, well, that's a different worm :)

Sequoia

GSequoia, that's EXACTLY what I told him today, that doing manual scans was gonna eat him alive. He did have his eye on a scanner that would take a 50 slide stack, though.

The problem is he's still considering using the software that comes with the scanner. Which won't cut it IMHO, even with some of the newer jobs that purport to do scratch & fuzz removal.

He was still thinking he could undercut a buck/slide. I'll bet he doesn't.

Sam did talk to one of the better photoshops here (Skokie area, north of Chicago) and what they recommended did a number on the emulsion apparently.

ChiXJeff

its because with this format, you can only see the new thread subject headings.....makes the board look less active, but look at the responces, and views.......

the old format never counted as many views.....

change is good.......

You own a digital camera, right?

as a photgrapher, you know how ridiculous all those washed-up burn-out art-photographers sound when they try to bash on digital photography, saying it will never be able to compete with the silver/ciba processes....

see where i'm going with this?

Eagle said:

So did you delete your cookies, or ya just don't think they can be corrupted... so you didn't delete them? :D

The cookies time-out is set to 300 seconds. If you are inactive for that period of time, it will then mark things as read... so that you will see what is new since your last visit. It does not indefinitely keep them marked as new, just because you have not read the message.

Now, I can see how some people may spend more than 300 seconds trying to read a post, so I just re-set it up to 600 seconds. See how that works for you.

Now, we will hear from people saying that the messages always appear to be new for them. Use the Mark All Messages read.. k.

If your computer is not doing this correctly... delete your naxja cookies.

The next release looks like it has changed how it handles marking messages... like... as soon as you read it, it is not "unread"... it gets marked that you have read it.
k.? For now, those are just indicators that the message is new since your last visit. Nothing more.

The Forum software is not flakey. It is one of the best out there. I realize that no matter what, some people will never be quite happy. :rolleyes: I will tell you this, we have far less complaints and support request now than ever.... spam out numbers help requests. Other than the spam, I am happy.

Traffic is not dropping off either, we get many new sign-ups each and every day, and many new threads and posts. It is not dropping off. :):rolleyes:

Back