• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Questions(long)

JKennedy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 cherokee with a 5-speed and a N.P. 231. I just swapped my dana 35 for a '99 chrysler 8.25. After driving it for a day, with no vibrations, I have fluid leaking out of my slipyolk. At 50 MPH I can hear a ringing sound,but I really have to listen for it. I have 5 inches of lift and a 1 inch transfer case drop. I've read that I shouldn't need a shorter driveshaft with this lift,and it dosen't seem to be binding up. Is the driveshaft too long? Would removing my T.C. drop help?
I tried to explain it as best as I could.
Thanks,
Jesse

I don't know why you would need a shorter driveshaft at all; after all you lifted it and moved the ends away from each other. It this still the stock driveshaft? If so it's likely there's not a lot of contact area at all between the driveshaft and the t-case output. Removing your t-case drop would only make the distance between t-case and pinion that much farther. Have you had the lift on for awhile or is this all a new install?

Yes, it's the stock driveshaft. I've had the lift for about a year. I wanted to do gears and get a stronger axle, so I got a 4.10 geared chrysler. From what I've found out by searching is that the chrysler 8.25 pinion is longer than the Dana 35, and that would push the driveshaft into the slipyolk. I'm trying to figure what caused my slipyolk to start leaking, since I swaped the axles.
-Jesse

231 is the one that slides in and out of the t-case right? well if it is then the seal rides on a semi clean spot on the driveshaft as you lifted that spot changed and the instantly one day (when you swaped to the lengthyer axle) you stuck the shaft further into the t-case to where it hasnt been touching for a while prob covered in rust and nastys cutting the seal just replace the seal or better yet get a sye

JKennedy said:
I'm saving up for a SYE. That'll be the next mod.
Good call. I don't know of anyone who has done an SYE and thought they shouldn't have, but I know of plenty of folks (myself included) who thought they could get away without the SYE...

Yucca-Man said:
Good call. I don't know of anyone who has done an SYE and thought they shouldn't have, but I know of plenty of folks (myself included) who thought they could get away without the SYE...
I'll could get away without it, and just change the seal, but I would rather not have to worry about it. Hopfully it'll get rid of that noise at 50 mph.
Thanks for the advise,
Jesse

Yucca-Man said:

I dont know I think I could have just not gotten the sye and instead just gotten a ATLAS 3.8/1:yelclap: !!!
themud

Back