• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS light on....

GusDaDog

NAXJA Forum User
..I bought my '92 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L last tuesday and two lights were on that they said not to worry about.... the "service engine" light and the "Antilock" light..... I know the Service light is just on a timer, but I am worried about the ABS light even though the dealer said not to worry and I've driven it about 75 miles with frequent braking (Chicago traffic).....

....what do yall think?

GusDaDog said:
..I bought my '92 Cherokee Laredo 4.0L last tuesday and two lights were on that they said not to worry about.... the "service engine" light and the "Antilock" light..... I know the Service light is just on a timer, but I am worried about the ABS light even though the dealer said not to worry and I've driven it about 75 miles with frequent braking (Chicago traffic).....

....what do yall think?

I don't know if the 92 is on a timer or not... I have a 91 and it if I have one unkowningly, it has never come on in over 20k. You bought it from a dealer who told you not to worry about the ABS light? If so he's an idiot. Not that you need ABS but...well you can figure it out.

I'd tell them to fix the problems whatever they are, preferably with you watching.

used car lot, no warrenty, "as is" but I tell ya...a good 91-94 Cherokee in Northern Indiana in the $3000 range was hard to find....this one only has 98,000 miles too and no sign of oil leaks.....

GusDaDog said:
used car lot, no warrenty, "as is" but I tell ya...a good 91-94 Cherokee in Northern Indiana in the $3000 range was hard to find....this one only has 98,000 miles too and no sign of oil leaks.....

when it comes to safety issues like the ABS, as is doesn't apply. A good company would take care of that.

I'd raz them a little. Did they imply ANY kind of inspection b-4 they put it in the lot?

If so you'd like to look at it. Thats what I told the last dealer i met. " we do a 90 point inspection" I said GREAT!! Show me the sheet please. After going around with them for 45 minutes I told them my time was actually worth something. FUNNY I don't think they EVER had it.

Yup, "as is" on a warranty sheet doesn't apply to safety issues, and you'd have a hard time finding a lawyer who wouldn't call ABS a safety issue. I bought my 96 "as is" from a large, supposedly reputable dealer here in Colorado **koff-koff...Larry Miller..koff-koff*** and it was fine at the time. A few short months later my Vehicle Speed Sensor went whacky; the Cruise actually kicked off on the highway right in front of a semi, and the speedo would read 0 half the time. I was able to fight them through the BBB to get approval for a repair from a Jeep dealer, not them. By that time it was early spring and I realized the a/c was empty. Mentioned that to the GM at the dealership and he told me to have the Jeep dealer fix it and bill him; you can't check a/c operation when it's 5* outside at purchase time...

Yucca-Man said:
Yup, "as is" on a warranty sheet doesn't apply to safety issues, and you'd have a hard time finding a lawyer who wouldn't call ABS a safety issue. I bought my 96 "as is" from a large, supposedly reputable dealer here in Colorado **koff-koff...Larry Miller..koff-koff*** and it was fine at the time.

Can I forward this to JOHN ELWAY autonation ? I bet he'd be pissed you buyin' from someone else. :eek:

Sincerly,

THE STALKER

when i grow up I wanna be like Yucca-Man.

Last edited:
Funny thing is the John Elway Jeep dealer on Broadway is the one who took care of me. Replaced the VSS (and showed me the dead part) and recharged the air; they happily sent the bill over to Larry Miller Toyota... I'm never buying from that chain if thieves again.

All that ABS light means is your antilock brakes aren't functioning for some reason. Your brakes will still work fine without any problems but they won't "pulse" for you if they lock up. You will have to pump your brakes like you used to have to back in the old days when they lock up on ice or wet roads. I actually removed my ABS when I lifted my XJ (6" lift) because the wires going to the brakes were too short and I didn't feel like messing around with legthening them. There are 2 fuses for the ABS system. One is for the ABS computer and the other is for the ABS system and ABS light. I removed both fuses also.

you should be able to get codes for the ABS, that would help to know if it is a minor wheel sesnor,or even better, a circuit problem. or a rather major issue like the module itselt. iam in canada, and for saftey inspections the light must be off. that usually erks some people where the cost to fix the ABS is more than what the vehicle is worth, even though the rest of the vehice is fine. how does that work down there? kim

Back