• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux. Electric fan switch wiring?

Dazz

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a drawing of the wires for the Auxiliary Fan Manual Override switch?

I unsure on where to tap for the override switch on a 91' and newer XJ.

Not sure what you've already bought for this project, but I thought I'd tell you what I did.

I went to the Autozone here in Austin and told the guys what I was planning on doing. And the guy there told me about this kit they had for $17 or so.

The kit included a temp gauge that hangs just right behind your radiator and goes up to a new thermostat that you just install on the frame right above the radiator with a couple of bolts.

Anyway, you basically let your rig heat up to 200 or so and then adjust the screw on this new thermostat to turn on your fan. From then on, that's when it comes on.

The kit also comes with the wires that you run through a hole in the firewall over to your fuse box to give your fan new power. I wanted a switch as well, so that's where I did it. I just put a switch right under the dash in the middle of the wire (along with a 20 amp inline fuse) and then put the wire into an empty slot in the fuse box (batt. I think) that had enough juice to run it.

The switch works great, but to be honest, the temp gauge works so well I don't ever touch the switch. That way I don't have to worry about accidently leaving it on.

Hope that helps some.

Chad

Chad88xj,

Waht is it called or do you have a p/n? I hate my F***ING switch. I've forgottrn to turn it on a couple of times, but luckily got things before they got out of control.

DesertXJ,

I don't know the name or the part number off hand, but I drive right by that Autozone on my way home from work, so I'll try to stop by and see if the guy is working that got if for me.

I do remember that he went into the back and brought it out to me and that it wasn't priced or anything, so you probably won't be able to look it up on the autozone website. Not that it's probably working anyway....

One thing that I forgot to say earlier: the fan definitely stays on for a few minutes after I stop when it's been running pretty hot. I just stood and waited around the first couple of times to make sure it didn't run too long before the new temp gauge kicked in.

Now I just walk away and don't think about it. Lots of people say, "Hey, you're fan's still running." I used to explain why. But now I just say, "Yeah, it does that" and keep walking. A lot easier.

Chad

Do you have any pics of your setup?
I'll try to stop by AZ to ask one of the rep. if they can offer the same assistance.

Thanks for the reply Chad88xj!

BILLXJ said:
..Hi: Dazz
Will send you the diagram via the "back-chanell" (email) if you prefer.Cannot paste it here directly .Let me know at
[email protected]
I don't have it yet, maybe somone from the board can offer us a wiring diagram for the Aux. Fan?

Once or if I get it I'll PM you. :)

Last edited:
Chad, does your thermostatic switch look something like this?
Thermo Switch
I'm looking for a switch to operate the fan on my open radiator conversion.

Thanks.
Don

Dazz,

Sorry about not addressing the wiring diagram for the fan. I guess that was your orginal question, wasn't it?

I didn't drive my 88 to work today (I just bought a 92 that I generally drive now) so I couldn't go out and look at it. But I believe I just tapped into the white and black wires right there on the fan before the harness connector to the actual coolant temp. sensor. Just peeled away some of the plastic to reveal some wire, wrapped mine right in there and taped it all up. I'll try to drive my 88 up here to my advertising agency tomorrow. We've got a digital camera so I can take a few pictures in the garage and put them up here.

Also, I noticed from another thread that you just put in the GDI 3 core as well. Sounds like you're going down exactly the same path I did: OEM stat, 3-core rad, fan switch. Not sure which system (open or closed) that you have on your year, but mine was the one without the radiator cap. It finally took doing all those things plus putting in a new coolant reservoir because mine wasn't holding pressure. After that, I swear I couldn't get my rig to overheat if I tried. And, since you live in Texas as well, you know I've had plenty of opportunities. A/C on max, sitting in Austin traffic in the summer, I look down and the needle is sitting happy at 210. It's a beautiful thing.

Don --

That thermostat from Ebay is pretty much what I've got. The one you linked to certainly has a lot more bells and whistles, seeing that it is built for two fans and seems to have an automatic shut off of some sort. But mine works fine for what I needed.

I didn't have time after work yesterday to get that number. I'll try tonight.

Chad

Dazz said:
Anyone have a drawing of the wires for the Auxiliary Fan Manual Override switch?

I unsure on where to tap for the override switch on a 91' and newer XJ.

I'd be interested in reading about how to do it on a '91 up too. I've seen plenty of articles about older XJs but I've never read an answer on how to do it to newer ones.

Chad88xj,
Did you leave the coolant sensor connector off after tapping into the Aux fan wire? What voltage is for the power source and did you use a fuse?
Thanks for the help btw and pics would really help.

I've done the 3-core GDI radiator swap a few days back, along with a new fan clutch and it reduced the eng. temp tremendously (180 degrees driving temp.)
The only reason I'm wanting to make a manual override switch is when I'm wheeling at low speed, the temps does climb upwards of 210F with just the single fan running.
If your XJ is a 91" or newer with a radiator cap, then you should have a open cooling system.

radiplug.jpg

Dazz,

First off, I stopped by the AZ on the way home and got the part number: 226203 ADJ ELEC FN CONT 17.99

For some reason another number came with it: 267187. The guy I spoke with said to give you both. Don't know why...

Anyway, it's exactly the part I put on about a year ago on my 88. As you said, my 88 is on the closed system, so I just went out and compared it to my 92 with the open system so that I might be of more help.

All I did on the 88 was follow the kit directions and tap right into my white wire an inch or two from the aux fan. (It appears just as accessible on my 92). I just left the ground the way it was. I bolted the new temp gauge right there on the frame (basically right next to where the rad cap is on yours) and then ran the wires around with some nylon ties over to the firewall. Now, my 88 had a big hole in the firewall where some other wires ran through. My 92 doesn't. You might have to drill one.

Once inside the cab, the guy I talked to told me to just go into an empty slot in the fuse box. I just chose one, and it blew a fuse in a few seconds. So I chose another ("batt" which is in the same place on my 88 and my 92, and also empty on my 92) and it did just fine. I'm not sure of the voltage. I pretty much figured that if it worked, I wasn't going to ask any questions. I did install an inline 20 amp fuse which has never blown.

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow, but I'm not sure I'll have time. I'll try. But I will say that I had never done anything like this before and I pretty much figured it out straight from the wiring diagram in the directions.

Oh, and i did go ahead and leave the normal coolant temp sensor plugged in. I figured it really couldn't hurt.

Good luck,

chad

Chad88xj said:
Dazz,

First off, I stopped by the AZ on the way home and got the part number: 226203 ADJ ELEC FN CONT 17.99

Anyone done this on a 97+? Would it hook up the same way? Any problems with the ECM?

Thanks,
Dave

http://community.webshots.com/photo/80840126/80840141wksnyO

And after this I added a temp switch also guess where I got it from.............
from my old indoor central heating gas operated "thing", you know the big thing that heats the water that runs through all the radiators in your house (please somebody teel me what you call it)

It has a litlle copper cigar shapedtube( the heat sensor) on a copper wire, that runs to a litlle box with a adjusting knob. Turn it higher and the relay inside will close later.
Managed to get it t work so now the I have a adjustable self thinking aux fan switch, on top of the manual I allready had made.

Can you follow me,?
Questions?

On my ’91 I just spliced in an on/off switch and potentiometer between the two wires going to the temp sensor in the thermostat housing (same idea as Dr Dyno, just adjustable). Now I can turn on my aux. fan at any temp I want. I must be following your guys’ footsteps; hood vents, adjustable aux fan, 165-degree thermostat and hi-flow housing, and a GDI 3 core radiator sitting in the garage. I’m waiting for it to warm up before I do the radiator swap and I wanted to put in a Hesco hi-flow water pump and flex fan at the same time. So far the mods are working like a champ. Last summer it would boil over in a heartbeat. After the mods, this winter I had to fab up a cold weather front just to get it up to operating temp. I can’t wait for the summer!!!

Wiley Coyote said:
On my ’91 I just spliced in an on/off switch and potentiometer between the two wires going to the temp sensor in the thermostat housing (same idea as Dr Dyno, just adjustable). Now I can turn on my aux. fan at any temp I want. I must be following your guys’ footsteps; hood vents, adjustable aux fan, 165-degree thermostat and hi-flow housing, and a GDI 3 core radiator sitting in the garage. I’m waiting for it to warm up before I do the radiator swap and I wanted to put in a Hesco hi-flow water pump and flex fan at the same time. So far the mods are working like a champ. Last summer it would boil over in a heartbeat. After the mods, this winter I had to fab up a cold weather front just to get it up to operating temp. I can’t wait for the summer!!!

If you took out the 165* thermostat and left in at least a 180*, you wouldn't have problems getting it to warm up in the winter. If the rest of the system is in good operating condition, the stock 195* thermostat does nothing to hurt the systems ability to keep the engine from running hot. Just a thought......

Goatman, You are right about the 180* thermostat helping to warm up the engine a bit quicker, but I should have explain my situation a little better. I live in Alaska and this winter has been extremely bad (some –20 to –35 stuff for a while) :( In normal temperatures (read 20 to 80 degrees) I don’t think that the 165* would even be an issue. The only option I could come up with was to block off the airflow through the radiator. Cold weather fronts are pretty commonplace on vehicles up here, but nobody makes one for a Cherokee. I guess necessity really is the mother of invention, or at least a mother at any rate :D

Back