• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with leaky xj

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
I need to determine if the xj is worth fixing or would need a new engine. It had been leaking from the rear main for a while, but this is of little concern to me because I had a rear seal waiting for it. (Is there an xj anywhere that doesn't drip something??) I was just waiting for a couple days in a row off. It was only leaking about a quart every other month...

My problem is I think I am leaking elsewhere now, but dont know where from. I smell oil when I stop at traffic lights coming through the vent, and there is a oil on the drivers side of the frame rail (it looks as though my shock is leaking but it isn't) I changed my oil and it is NOT milky as though there is coolant in it. Could it still be my head gasket?

My dilemma is...is this engine worth fixing, or is it pretty much toast? It is an 89 xj, and I am ready to move on....I don't want to sink money into a lost cause.

First you need to determine IF the oil is actually oil... IF it is.... then check the PCV lines off the top of the valve cover... that go to the air box... The lines will get obstructed with gunk and cause the engine to slightly pressurize pushing oil vapors up into the line... The fix is to remove the valve cover, clean the baffels where the hose penetrates the valve cover, clean out the hoses.... and then reassemble with a new valve cover gasket.

Might check you power steering hoses and cap for leaks also....

Charles

clean your engine first with some kind of degreaser. Watch for leaks. I would, if you have not already do the oil filter adapter housing ( 3 seals / $15 from dealer ) valve cover gasket if you cant remember when or if it has been done. These are the easy ones to do. I think a good VC gasket is about $12-15.

Since you know you need a rear main, you'll have to do the oil pan gasket at the same time and I think it is 92 and up it is a 1 piece, not an earlier 4 piece style.

Mine was leaking from here, there, everywhere, and I did the easy ones first and gradually moved on to the harder ones.

But like I said, get it clean 1st and go from there. If your oil pressure is good there is NO REASON to replace the engine unless you have other issues.

Back