• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newb question HP vs LP

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
First: i did search
second: i really dont understand this axel stuff (backlash etc...)

ok so here is my question:
what is the diffrence from a High Pinion and a Low Pinion front / rear axel?
does one of them come stock with high stear or something?>

pictures would be helpful...

thanks for anything that you can tell me
-Bryan

Im stoked, because i just purchased my lift (3.5" front and 4.5" rear for 450 shipped with LCA's, Discos, shocks, steering stabilizer, and full spring packs)

I'll try to 'splain using mah 7th graed edumacation....I am sure someone will point out if I am wrong.

HP vs LP is merely where the pinion suts on the axle housing.

think of a side view of the housing....

HP means that the pinion sits on the upper haf of the housing....because it sits higher, there is less of a driveshaft angle between the TC and the axle which leads to less vibrations in lifted vehicles IIRC this is considered a "reverse cut" gearset

LP means that the pinion is on the lower half....greater DS angle which may lead to vibes, or reduced clearance "standard cut" gearset

Some may argue the strength issues, but I honestly don't know enough about it to have an opinion on it

Looking at your profile, you have a 92XJ this means that your front axle is a HP D30 and rear is either D35 or a C 8.25
D35REAR.jpg

This is a D35

C825REAR27.jpg

Chrysler 8.25
Hope this helps

John

Last edited:
Because of the way the gears mesh and the side of the teeth that are in contact, a high pinion, reverse cut gear is stronger in front axle applications than a standard cut gearset. The opposite is true for the rear axle.

Yea. What they said.

Put in your lift kit and enjoy. If your diffs are quiet and working right, then no worries.

Back