• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake drum leaking brake fluid

speedn431

NAXJA Member #487
one of my drums is leaking a huge amount of brake fluid. i have never openned a drum myself, but was wondering if this is something i could fix my self. anyone had this problem?

Talk to some of your military buddies.... I am sure one of them has replaced a brake wheel cylinder. He can supervise you while you replace it.
You will need a few tools to replace the wheel cylinder that can be borrowed at the base hobby shop.
Good luck....

Charles

jneary said:
it could also be an axle seal. is it low on brake fluid?

I'm pretty sure he said BRAKE FLUID. wait... :read: yeah ! he said brake fluid. Wheecl Cyl man. repalce, bleed system, adjust non adjusting brake shoes, and go !

Yep it sounds like a wheel cylinder...

I'd look at doing both and replacing the pads in both sides...

Parts List:
2 wheel cylinders (bring an old one to compare...there were a couple different sizes)
Brake Pads
2 or 3 cans Brakleen spray
1 qt DOT3 fluid
1 turkey baster
Paper towels or clean rags
1' piece of rubber hose

The only 'weird' tool is a line wrench to fit where the lines go into the cylinders and the bleeder screws. I love my Mityvac vacuum/siphon pump, but have bled many a brake and clutch without it...

Wear Eye Protection at all times!!!

Evacuate all the brake fluid from the master cylinder, clean it out and replace with fresh fluid

Bleed out the front and rear... dont get too crazy on pedal feel yet, you are just getting the old fluid out of the lines... when it starts coming out a corner clear, that's all ya need at that point. Keep an eye on the fluid level and don't let it suck air.

Spray out the drums & brake assys, Replace the cylinders & pads: Do one side at a time or take digi-pix to refrence reassembly... they are mirror image L & R. Maybe have the drums turned, maybe not?

Bleed out the 4 corners & enjoy.

woody, sounds like i just need to find a time to drive up to carthage and have you walk me through the steps. if you have any free time let me know. i'd love to show you my new to me xj.

speedn431 said:
woody, sounds like i just need to find a time to drive up to carthage and have you walk me through the steps. if you have any free time let me know. i'd love to show you my new to me xj.

Sent ya a PM with phone #s and directions :)

I don't think that you should be driving your Jeep ANYWHERE until you fix the problem.

I'm not sure of your MOS, but you should know that any class 2 or 3 brake leak deadlines the vehicle, Military and Civilian vehicles are no different in that respect.

Don't take your chances...

Back