• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this broke

First check all of your front end parts for wear make sure nothing is loose. If everything is fine there then my guess is your steering box is on its way out .What may be happening is that one of the power assist valves in the box is not working properly. But I have also seen bad ball joints and bad axle ujoints cause a similar problem.good luck

ALL the front end parts (tie rods ball joints ujoints track bar ) are in good condition. it also pulls in the direction of easy turn. had it aligned they did not know why it pulled but said everything was lined up.

While I would think it is more likely to occur in both directions, check to see that the u-joints on the steering shaft are not frozen. I replaced the steering box and pump in my '89 before finding the shaft joints to be the problem. The symptom felt like a slipping belt or a hydraulic failure. When turning the wheel it was easy/hard/easy/hard etc.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

i have had both axels out putting in lockers, axel joints ok. the stabilizer is new. had the breaks off 4 or 5 times also, new pads. ??

Almeek69 said:
i have had both axels out putting in lockers, axel joints ok. the stabilizer is new. had the breaks off 4 or 5 times also, new pads. ??
If a locker isn't unlocking like it's supposed to, it will cause the steering to be very tight and show the same symptoms as a bad box or pump.

Mine did the same thing till I fixed the locker (forgot to put the thrust washers back in).

I replaced the pump and steering box and it still acted up (read loud whining). The old equipment turned out to be fine.

Back